Lennon Lab: Microbial Ecology and Evolution
We are interested in the factors that generate and maintain microbial biodiversity.
In turn, we seek to understand the implications of microbial diversity for ecosystem functioning.
Data and code for some of our projects can be found on GitHub
You can follow the Lennon Lab on Twitter
- Congratulations to Megan, Mario, and Kevin on successfully defending their Ph.D. dissertations!
- "Scaling laws predict global microbial diversity" in PNAS. Summary of media coverage and Altmetric
- Ken receives the Tom Brock Award from the International Society for Microbial Ecology
- Jay gives talk at National Academies meeting on "Microbiomes of the Built Environment: From Research to Application"
- "Microbial mutualism dynamics governed by dose-dependent toxicity of cross-fed nutrients" to appear in ISMEJ
- Jay gives talk in Biodiversity Seminar Series at University of British Columbia
- Roy and Jay present research at BIOCRUST3 in Moab, Utah
- Jay gives seminar in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering at MIT
- "Underestimation of global microbial diversity" to appear in mBio
- Jay spends time in Woods Hole at the Biological Laboratory (MBL) as Whitman Associate
- "Microbial contributions to subterranean methane sinks" to appear in Geobiology'
- Lab presents research at International Society for Microbial Ecology (ISME) meetings in Montreal
- "Reply to Willis: Powerful predictions of biodiversity from ecological models and scaling laws" in PNAS
- "Microscale insight into microbial seed banks" available as PeerJ Preprint
- Venus attends EDAMAME workshop at Michigan State University
- "Underestimation of global microbial diversity" available as PeerJ Preprint
- "A unifying ecological theory of microbial biodiversity" available as PeerJ Preprint
- "Phosphorus release from the drying and reflooding of diverse shallow sediments" to appear in Biogeochemistry
- "Understanding how microbiomes influence the systems they inhabit: insight from ecosystem ecology" available as bioRxiv preprint
- Mario is going to Hawaii to participate in the C-MORE Eco-DAS Symposium
- "A trait based approach to bacterial biofilms in soil" published in Environmental Microbiology
- "Multi-scale ecological filters shape the crayfish microbiome" available as PeerJ Preprint
- Nathan helps lead effort in LTER synthesis group on metacommunities
- "Bacterial dormancy is more prevalent in freshwater than hypersaline lakes" published in Frontiers in Microbiology
- Mario attends the Ramon Margalef Summer Colloquia on "Microbes in a changing world" in Barcelona, Spain
- Jay gives seminar at Flathead Lake Biological Station, University of Montana
- Jay gives seminar to Cellular, Molecular and Microbial Biology Program at University of Montana
- Jay participates in Drought-Net workshop at Sevilleta LTER
- Evgeniya Polezhaeva joins the lab to work on our MURI microbial evolution project.
- Jay gives seminar in Department of Ecology and Genetics at Uppsala University, Sweden
- Mario and Jay attend MBL PRO-MICROBES workshop in Woods Hole
- Mario's paper on "Species sorting along a subsidy gradient alters bacterial community stability" to appear in Ecology
- Nathan and Jay publish book review in Quarterly Review of Biology on Principles of Microbial Biodiversity
- Jay gives guest lecture at Translational Plant Sciences Symposium at Virginia Tech
- "Re-examining relationship between marine virus and hosts" in Nature Microbiology Check out interactive dashboard!
- Jay gives seminar to Department of Microbiology and Immunology at Montana State University
- "Scaling relationships among drivers of aquatic respiration: from the smallest to the largest freshwater ecosystems" in Inland Waters
- Lab receives NSF Dimensions of Biodiversity award to study microbial seed banks
- IU-led team receives DOD-MURI grant to study "Mechanisms of Prokaryotic Evolution"
- "Microbiomes in light of traits: a phylogenetic perspective" published in Science
- "Microbial contributions to subterranean methane sinks" available as bioRxiv preprint
- Venus Kuo joins the lab as a Ph.D. student
- "Species sorting along a subsidy gradient alters community stability" available as bioRxiv preprint
- "Scaling laws predict global microbial diversity" available as PeerJ preprint
- "Do modern theories of biodiversity fail to predict commonness and rarity among microbes?" available as PeerJ preprint
- Paper on "Crop diversity enhances disease suppressive potential in soil" available as bioRxiv preprint
- "Re-examining the relationship between virus and microbial cell abundances in the global oceans" available as bioRxiv preprint
- Lab presents at the 7th Annual Argonne Soil Metagenomics Meeting
- Jay gives seminar to the Program in Ecology at Duke University
- Jay gives seminar to the Department of Biology at East Carolina University
- Lab presents research at 3rd International Workshop on Microbial Life under Extreme Energy Limitation in Sønderborg, Denmark
- Melany Fisk spending some of her sabbatical in the Lennon Lab
- Meta-analysis on "linking microbial community structure and microbial processes" published in FEMS Microbiology Ecology
- Nathan Wisnoski attends LTER all scientist meeting to present research on microbial metacommunities
- Megan Behringer joins laboratory as postdoc to study microbial evolution
- Will Shoemaker attends NIMBioS Evolutionary Quantitative Genetics Workshop
- Co-organizing session on 'trait-based ecology at the microscale' for ESA's centennial meeting in Baltimore
- Read aboout Mario's research on the microbial diversity of the Huron Mountains
- High School student Dakayla Calhoun participates in the Jim Holland Summer Science Research Program; check out her github repo
- Jay is a guest lecturer at the EDAMAME workshop at Michigan State University
- Will participates in Single Cell Genome Workshop at the Bigelow Lab
- Paper with Kathleen Treseder on "Fungal traits that drive ecosystem dynamics" published in Microbiology and Molecular Biology Reviews
- Is the skin microbiome, our first line of defense, sleeping on the job? Watch ASM Live interview with Sarah Cummins and Jay
- Jay gives introductory talk at the Summer Soil Institute at Colorado State University
- Jay attends [http://www.darpa.mil/default.