First constitution of Indiana adopted, providing for a general system of
education ascending from township schools to a state university.
|1818||State legislature established
Monroe County and appointed commissioner to locate and name town
where courthouse could be situated.|
|1820||Legislative act adopted
establishing a state seminary, January 20 (Founder's Day).
In July, Board of Trustees choose location for
|1822||Construction begun of Seminary
building and professor's house.|
hired as first professor to teach in the Seminary.|
|1824||Classes begin with an
ten men, though Seminary building not yet complete.|
building completed. Sold and razed in 1858.|
|1828||Legislative act adopted changing
State Seminary to Indiana College, Jan. 24.|
Wylie (1829-51) named first president.|
|1830||First graduating class.
established (abolished 1890). Construction of First College
building started at Seminary Square.|
|1836||First College building finished
(destroyed by fire April 11, 1854).|
|1838||Legislative act adopted changing
Indiana College to Indiana University.|
|1842||School of Law established
(suspended 1877-89; revived Feb. 15, 1889).|
|1852||Legislative act adopted
University as "The University of the State," June 17. Alfred
Ryors (1852-53) named second president.|
|1853||William Mitchell Daily (1853-59)
named third president.|
|1854||First College building
destroyed by fire.|
College building constructed (used for
Preparatory Department, 1885-90; sold to Bloomington School Board for use as a high school, 1897).|
|1859||Theophilus A. Wylie served six
months as acting
president. John Hiram Lathrop (1859-60) named fourth
|1860||Cyrus Nutt (1860-75) named fifth
|1865||IU president made a member ex
officio of the State Board of Education.|
|1867||IU becomes one of the first state
admit women. The Indiana Student (now the Indiana Daily
published. Men's baseball team becomes IU's first known
athletic activity. Legislative act begins annual appro
priations, March 8.|
Morrison becomes first woman graduate.|
|1874||Science Hall at Seminary Square
completed (destroyed by fire 1883).|
(1875-84) named sixth president.|
|1883||Charles Henry Gilbert becomes
first to receive
Ph.D. degree. Following fire at Seminary Square, citizens of
County pledge $50,000 to the University. Dunn's Woods,
located east of downtown Bloomington, purchased from Moses F.
Dunn. First intercollegiate game (baseball) played by an IU
and Owen Halls constructed on new campus
(named University Park). Elisha Ballantine named acting
|1885||David Starr Jordan
(1885-91) named seventh
president. Mitchell Hall (named
Maxwell Hall until 1894) constructed on new campus. Razed in 1991.|
|1886||Men's football team started.
curriculum to major subject and departmental basis.|
|1890||Department of Physical Training
established, with gym in Wylie Hall. Summer School
Library Hall (renamed Maxwell Hall in 1894) constructed.
Preparatory Department abolished.|
|1891||John Merle Coulter (1891-93) named
president. Legislative act adopted providing for election by
three trustees. Department of Physical Training for Men
established, with gym in Owen Hall. First IU extension course
offered in Indianapolis.|
|1892||Men's Gymnasium completed
(converted into a carpenter's shop after 1896, razed in 1932).|
|1893||Joseph Swain (1893-1902) named
|1894||Kirkwood Hall constructed. Campus yearbook, Arbutus, first published.|
|1895||Trustees purchase 10 acres north
and east of campus
from Moses F. Dunn (Dunn cemetary excepted). Biological
Station established at Turkey Lake (Towinana in 1899).|
|1896||Women's Gym moved to Mitchell
Men's Gymnasium constructed (renamed Assembly Hall in 1917; razed in 1938).|
|1898||Men's basketball team
Wylie Hall partly destroyed by fire, February 7.|
|1902||William Lowe Bryan (1902-37) named
Science Hall constructed (renamed Ernest Hiram Lindley Hall in
|1903||School of Medicine
|1906||Student Building constructed with
funds from private subscriptions. Pool house added to north side in 1938. Alpha Hall opens.|
|1907||Second Library Building completed
Services Building in 1972, Joseph Amos Franklin Hall in 1988).
Sometime in the fall of 1907 is when it is thought that the first Book Nook opens.|
|1908||School of Education established.
Theordore F. Rose
Well House built with portals of the Second College Building. |
|1909||The Indiana Union for Men
|1910||Biology Hall completed (renamed
Swain Hall East in 1957).|
|1911||Real estate given by Dr. and Mrs.
Robert W. Long
for Robert W. Long Hospital in connection with School of Medicine in Indianapolis.|
|1912||Extension Division established
Education in 1965, School of Continuing Studies in 1975).|
|1913||IU Alumni Association
|1914||Training School for Nurses
established (renamed School of Nursing in 1956).|
|1916||First extension office opened in
|1917||Department of Military Science
Wayne Extension Center established. Men's gym completed.|
|1919||Indianapolis School of Medicine
completed (renamed Charles P. Emerson Building in 1961).|
|1920||School of Commerce and Finance
School of Business Administration in 1933, School of Business in
1938, Kelley School of Business in 1998).|
|1921||School of Music established.
Three-year Memorial Fund Campaign begun.|
|1922||First classes offered in South
First Jordan River Revue.
|1923||Commerce Building constructed
Administration Building in 1935, Social Science Building in 1941, William A. Rawles Hall in 1971).|
|1924||President's house completed. Renamed William and Charlotte Lowe Bryan House on April 25, 1970.
dormitory constructed (renamed South Hall in 1925, Ulysses H. Smith Hall in 1959).|
|1925||Women's Memorial Hall and Memorial
Tenth Street Stadium in 1971) completed. (Stadium
demolished in 1982 for
construction of Arboretum). School of Dentistry
|1928||Field House completed (renamed
Ora L. Wildermuth Intramural Center in 1971).|
|1932||Indiana University Memorial Union
(additions in 1939 and 1946). Men's wrestling and track
teams win NCAA championships.|
|1933||South Bend-Mishawaka Extension
|1934||School of Dentistry building
completed on Medical Center campus at Indianapolis.|
|1936||Administration Building (renamed
William Lowe Bryan
Administration Building in 1957), School of Music Building, and Forest Hall (renamed Goodbody Hall in 1962) completed. Alpha Hall (first women's dormitory) purchased by University (
razed in 1961). IU Foundation established.|
|1937||Herman B Wells named acting
president. School of
Medicine Building at Bloomington completed (renamed Burton D. Myers Hall in 1958).|
|1938||Herman B Wells (1938-62) named
president. School of Business established.
University School (renamed
Wendell W. Wright School of Education Building in 1979) and Stores and Services Building (renamed Ernie Pyle Hall in 1954
) completed. Clinical Building at Indianapolis completed.
Bradford donated 900 acres of family land to IU (by 1956 Bradford Woods recreational area was enlarged to 2,300 acres). Men's cross country team wins NCAA championship.|
Calumet Extension Building
constructed for Northwest campus.
Goethe Link Observatory completed. Donated to I.U. in 1948.|
Alfred C. Kinsey Institute established.
Beech (renamed Morrison Hall in 1942) and Sycamore halls
added to Memorial and Goodbody halls to form Agnes E. Wells Quandrangle.
North Hall (renamed Cravens Hall in 1959) and West Hall (renamed Edmondson Hall in 1959)
added to men's residence complex (renamed Collins Living Learning Center in 1981). Construction of the
Business and Economics Building (renamed Woodburn Hall in 1971). Men's basketball and cross country teams won
Luther Institute Building is purchased.
First full-time director appointed for South Bend-Mishawaka Center.
IU Auditorium completed. One of
the world's first cyclotrons becomes operational at IU. Shut down on February 6, 1968.Indianapolis The
Normal College of the American Gymnastic Union becomes part of IU (renamed School of Physical Education in 1973).
Southeast Falls City Area Center
established at Jeffersonville
(renamed Indiana University Southeastern Center in 1946). |
Junior Division established (renamed
University Division in 1970). Professor Woodburn's home on
College Avenue donated. Men's cross country team won NCAA
|1944||IndianapolisBenjamin Harrison Law School acquired.|
School of Health, Physical Education,
and Recreation established. IU wins Big 10 football championship.Kokomo Extension Center begun. |
Dormitory unit completed (renamed John
W. Ashton Center in 1980). Several army buildings moved to
housing and classroom use. Indianapolis
Maennerchor Building purchased for School of Law.
Kokomo Kingston-Seiberling mansion purchased.|
president Andrew Wylie's home purchased (restored 1961-65).
Trees Center razed.|
America's first degree-granting
folklore program initiated. Archives of Folk and Primitive
founded (renamed Archives of Traditional Music in 1965).
East Hall constructed (burned in 1968).
Hilltop Garden & Nature Center founded.
Link Observatory and
property for its upkeep donated by Goethe and Helen Link.
Northwest Gary College and IU unite facilities and
|1949||Inter-campus Geologic Field Station
established in Cardwell,
Montana, on 60 acres given by the state of Montana. Bloomington Men's Quadrangle (renamed
Joseph H. Wright Quadrangle in 1959) and University Apartments completed.
|1950||Inter-campusIU Press established. Indianapolis Medical Center
accepted Laboratory Science Building from State Board of Health (renamed James W. Fesler Hall in 1959).|
School of Letters summer program established in Graduate School (ended in 1973).
First pre-optometry courses offered in the fall.
Howdy Wilcox Jr., Executive Director of Indiana University Student Foundation, founds the Little 500
Memorial Union organization admits women for the first time.
First greenhouse installed at Hilltop Garden & Nature Center.|
Men's basketball team wins NCAA
Indianapolis Student Union Building at Medical Center opened.|
120 acres north of campus purchased from Faris estate.|
Married housing unit completed
(renamed Hepburn, Nutt, Bicknell, and Banta apartments in 1959). Jordon
Hall of Biology and Smithwood Hall (renamed Daniel Read Hall in 1960;
rededicated 1962) completed.|
School of Law Building completed.
Beck Chapel constructed. Indianapolis
School of Nursing established. |
Evermann Apartments completed. |
|1958||Indianapolis Alfred S. Warthin Apartments and
Medical Science Building completed.Fort Wayne IU and Purdue programs combined.|
Ballantine Hall and Tower Quadrangle
(renamed Nellie S. Teter Quadrangle in 1961). Biddle opens.
Indianapolis Division of Allied Health
established in School of Medicine. Northwest Tamarack Hall completed.
Lilly Library completed. Seventeenth
Street Football Stadium (renamed Indiana Memorial Stadium in 1971) and
Athletic Field House completed.
The Gardenhouse built at Hilltop Garden & Nature Center.
Married Student Housing
complex (renamed Redbud Hill Apartments in 1961) erected.|
Graduate School of Business
established. Woodlawn Dormitories (Morgan, Brown, Monroe,
halls) and Ruby C. Mason cooperative housing unit completed.
Showalter Fountain completed.|
|1962||Inter-campusElvis Jacob Stahr, Jr. (1962-68) named twelfth
president. Herman B Wells named University Chancellor.
Fine Arts Building, Geology Building, Campus View Apartments, and
Residence Halls Administration Building completed. Royer Pool
completed. South Bend South
Bend-Mishawaka Campus Building completed.|
Aerospace Research Applications Center
established under contract with NASA (moved to Indianapolis Center for
Advanced Research at IUPUI in 1976). Psychology Building, Administrative
Services Building, Radio and Television Building, and John W. Foster
Quadrangle completed. Northwest Gary
and Calumet campuses
combined under single administration named IU Northwest.|
Paul V. McNutt Quadrangle and new
University School completed.
Poplars Midtown Motor Hotel built. Purchased by IU in 1972 and renamed Poplars Research and Conference Center. Fort Wayne Kettler Hall completed.|
Wendell L. Willkie Quadrangle and Tulip
Tree House completed. Kokomo Kokomo
Campus Building completed. |
Graduate Library School established
(renamed School of Library and Information Science in 1980). First University owned campus bus system.
Business Building, Student Health Center, and Forest and Herman T.
Briscoe quadrangles completed. South Bend Greenlawn Hall opened.|
University acquires 245 acres on
Monroe Reservoir to house Biological Research Station.
Herron School of Art affiliated with IU. Northwest
First commencement held. South
Bend First commencement held.|
|1968||Inter-campusHerman B Wells named interim president.
Lee Sutton (1968-71) named thirteenth president.
Birthday Drive publicly announced.
Optometry Building and Speech and Hearing Building completed.
East Hall destroyed by fire.
Barn 1 built by Botany Department's carpenter at Hilltop Garden & Nature Center.
Men's swimming team
wins NCAA championship.
Football team plays in Rose Bowl.
Indianapolis Preventive Dentistry
Research Building in Medical Center and Phase I of University Hospital
completed. Fort Wayne First
Third Library Building completed.
Second Library Building damaged by fire (now Franklin Hall).
Eigenmann Graduate Residence Center completed.
Indianapolis IU and Purdue merge into
IUPUI, with IU given administrative and fiscal control.
Academic, library, and student activities facilities added.
Southeast First commencement held at
Afro-American Studies program established (renamed Department of African American and African Diaspora Studies in 2002.)
Union Building completed.
Men's swimming team wins NCAA
Indianapolis First commencement held.
IUPUI Columbus Center opens. New building for School of
Law in Indianapolis completed. Kokomo First
|1971||Inter-campusJohn W. Ryan named fourteenth president.
Bloomington Assembly Hall, Musical Arts
Center, Glenn Black
Archaeological Laboratory, and Publications/Printing Services Building
completed. Metz Carillon donated by Arthur R. Metz Foundation.
IU Cyclotron Facility completed (dedicated on April 23, 1976. Building addition dedications in 1988, 1991, and 1994).
AIAW begins first intercollegiate competition for
Indianapolis Medical Research
Facilities Building completed.
Undergraduate campus consisting of three new buildings opens.|
|1972||Inter-campusSchool of Public and Environmental Affairs
established. Bloomington Second Library Building
renovated as Student Services Building (renamed Joseph Amos Franklin Hall in 1988). Men's swimming team won NCAA
Indianapolis IU School of Liberal Arts,
Purdue School of Science, and
Purdue School of Engineering and Technology established.
South Bend Northside Hall addition completed.|
Black Culture Center established.
Latino Culture Center established.
Women's Studies Program established.
Men's swimming team wins NCAA championship. Indianapolis School of
Physical Education established. Nursing Building completed.
IUPUI Columbus Center moved to facilities in Bakalar Technical Training Building.
Southeast campus at New Albany opened.|
administration phased out, Bloomington and Indianapolis organized as core
campuses. IU and Purdue united under one
Bloomington Department of Journalism established within COAS. (Became
independent school in 1989.)
Trees Center razed.
Showalter House constructed by IU Foundation.
Administration Building completed. East Richmond facility
|1975||Inter-campusSchool of Continuing Studies established.
Bloomington School of Optometry
established. Indianapolis Engineering
and Technology Building completed. East New
building at Richmond completed. South Bend Associates Complex acquired
. Southeast Hillside Hall and Life
Science Building completed.|
Men's basketball team wins NCAA
championship. Fort Wayne The Fort
Wayne Art Institute School of Fine
Arts merges with IUPU at Fort Wayne. Northwest Hawthorne laboratory and classroom building completed.
University Center completed.|
|1977 ||Bloomington New Geology Core Storage Building
opens. Andrew Wylie House entered on National Register of
Places. Indianapolis Riley House
Care Clinic, Parent Education and Preparation Center, and Parent Care Unit completed. School of Social Service renamed School of
East New IHETS TV tower installed.
Northwest Apartment building named
Lindenwood Hall. South Bend Part of
IUSB moved into sections of Associated Properties.|
|1978|| Bloomington Animal Care Building completed. Breaking Away
|1979|| Bloomington Music Practice Building completed.
Old Crescent buildings (Franklin Hall, Student Building, Maxwell Hall,
Owen Hall, Wylie Hall, Kirkwood Hall, Lindley Hall, Rose Well House, and Kirkwood Observatory)
listed on Indiana Register of Historic Places.
Football team wins Holiday Bowl.
Sports Center completed.|
Visitors Center opens. Old Crescent
buildings placed on National Register of Historic Places. Indianapolis
Riley Hospital Pediatric Cardiac Catheterization Clinic and Laboratory
completed. Kokomo New Science
School of Journalism becomes
systemwide school. School of Music students present first
by a university company at Metropolitan Opera House. Little
500/Soccer Stadium opens (renamed Bill Armstrong Stadium in
1983). IU Art Museum completed. Men's
basketball team wins NCAA championship. Indianapolis
Townhouses completed. Fort Wayne
of IU and Purdue recognize constitution joining their faculties under one governing body. Medical Education Program established in School of Medicine.|
Memorial service held for composer and
IU alumnus Hoagy Carmichael. Composer/conductor Leonard
residence as first fellow of Institute for Advanced Study.
William Hammond Mathers Museum completed.
American Studies program in Yugoslavia (IU/Zagreb University) established.
Women's tennis team wins AIAW championship.
Men's soccer team wins NCAA championship.
Natatorium/Gymnasium, Track and Field Stadium, Classroom/Office II
Building completed. Kokomo Fifteen
acres acquired adjacent to campus.|
Institutes established for American
Theatre Studies, Molecular and Cellular Biology, and Materials
Research. Men's soccer team wins NCAA championship.
Dale Lisby builds Barn 2 as an addition to Barn 1 at Hilltop Garden & Nature Center.
Indianapolis Elks Cancer Research
opens. Institute for Humanities Research established. Fort Wayne
Walter E. Helmke Library Endowment established.
for Environmental Research and Great Lakes Center for Public Affairs and Administration established in SPEA.|
American Indian Studies Institute
established. Indianapolis Hudson
Institute moved to IUPUI. Kokomo
Nine acres adjacent to campus acquired.
Northwest Wells Fargo Gamefield
|1986||Inter-campusHerman B Wells Program for Outstanding Young Scholars, a
four-year scholarship program, announced.|
Thomas Ehrlich becomes fifteenth president.
Center on Philanthropy at IUPUI established with $4 million
grant from Lilly Endowment.
Tenth Pan American games held.
IU celebrates 150th anniversary of university status.
Campus grows to 565 acres with the gift of McKay farm.
Kelley Student Center and Laboratory Building dedicated.
Franklin D. Schurz Library dedicated.
School of Fine Arts renamed the Henry Radford Hope School
of Fine Arts.
The Student Building catches fire during renovations.
Marram Hall opened.
IU Hospital and Outpatient Center completed at the IU
Knobview Hall opened.
Wendell W. Wright Education Building dedicated.
New classroom and office building built at Hilltop Garden & Nature Center.
Ernest E. Williams Theater dedicated.
Myles Brand becomes sixteenth president.
School of Music graduate program tied for first place with
Juilliard and Eastman in U.S. News and World Report ranking.
Professor of English Yusef Komunyakaa wins Pulitzer Prize
University Library dedicated.
23 riverfront acres acquired adjacent to campus.
Student Recreational Sports Center opens.
Bess Meshulam Simon Music Library and Recital Center opens.
New library opens.
HEC approves Associate of Arts degree
John Mellencamp Pavillion, the Indiana University Advanced
Research and Technology Institute, and the IU Research Park open.
Dalai Lama visits Bloomington campus
Wylie Hall rededicated following completion of 3-year renovation
Indiana Cancer Pavilion dedicated
Ryan White Center begins construction
IU Hospital, Methodist Health Group and Riley Hospital for Children consolidate to form Clarian Health
F. C. Richardson installed as Chancellor
Trustees approve observation of Martin Luther King, Jr. Day for all campuses beginning 1998
Center for Mathematics Education established to improve K-12 education throughout Indiana
Sears and IU Business School establish Center for Education and Research in Retailing
Price Waterhouse Center for Information Technology established at IU School of Business to help further the development of the technical proficiency of future ac
counting and business consulting professionals
School of Business becomes the Kelley School of Business, in honor of philanthropist and alumnus E. W. Kelley
The Jack and Linda Gill Center for Instrumentation and Measurement Science established
Cancer Research Institute dedicated
Kenneth Perrin installed as Chancellor
Phi Sigma Sigma opens the campus's first sorority house
IU and Microsoft form agreement, making IU the first university in the U.S. to make Microsoft's software available to students, faculty and staff
Asian Culture Center established.
First Barbara Shalucha Award given.
Congress awards IU $1 million to establish the Midwest Proton Radiation Institute, the first cancer treatment center of its kind in the Midwest, at the Cyclotron
The Advanced Research and Technology Institute moves its operational base from Bloomington to Indianapolis to better enhance its relationship with the School of Medic
The Center for Regional Campus Excellence launched to examine best practices in higher education across the U.S. and develop models of excellence
Wiekamp Hall dedicated
IUSB becomes first regional campus with an endowed chair after receiving a gift from William and Kathryn Shields providing the School of Nursing dean with an annual s
tipend to support instruction and scholarship
IU receives $30 million grant from Lilly Endowment for IT research initiative.
University Chancellor Herman B Wells named IU's Man of the Century
Establishment of School of Informatics approved.
Graduate student Won Joon Yoon shot and killed by white supremacist Benjamin Smith; Memorial fund established in Yoon's honor.
Latino Studies program established.
IU Cancer Center receives National Cancer Center research designation
Bruce Bergland named Chancellor.
U.S. Dept. of Education awards campus $308,000 to expand and provide additional components to its successful Urban Teacher Education Program.
University Chancellor Herman B Wells dies at 97
IU partners with Sun Microsystems Inc. to create the Center for Excellence in order to offer IU researchers and students more powerful resources in the areas of high
performance computing, networking and storage, data mining and visualization
After 29 years, Bobby Knight fired from his position as men's basketball coach; Mike Davis named interim coach
Herman B Wells plaza dedicated
School of Liberal Arts receives largest gift to date from retired steelworker Sam Masarachia
Trustees approve plans for construction of the Research Institute II for housing School of Medicine research laboratories and offices
Lilly Endowment awards $105 million to support the Indiana Genomics Initiative
Ruth Person installed as Chancellor
Sharon Brehm installed as successor to Chancellor Kenneth R. R. Gros Louis
Mike Davis named Men's Basketball coach
Gerry DiNardo named 25th head football coach.
Inaugural First Nations at Indiana University (FNIU) pow wow held.
Effective December 31, President Myles Brand resigns. IUPUI Chancellor Gerald Bepko named interim president.
Latino Faculty and Staff Council established.
Central Asia, Azerbaijan and Afghanistan Language Resource Center (CAAALRC) established.
Ruth Lilly Auxiliary Library Facility dedicated.
Graduate and Executive Education Center dedicated at the Kelley School of Business.
Una Mae Reck succeeds Chancellor Kenneth Perrin.
Sandra R. Patterson-Randles succeeds Chancellor F.C. Richardson.
Adam W. Herbert named IU'S 17th president
The School of Informatics, IU's first new university-wide school in 28 years, dedicated on the Bloomington campus January 30
The Center for Applied Cybersecurity Research (CACR) established on both the Indianapolis and Bloomington campuses
John Slattery succeeds George E. Walker as dean of graduate studies
The Research and Education Networking Information Sharing and Analysis Center (REN-ISAC) established at IU through an agreement with the National Infrastructure Protection Center (NIPC).
After 31 years of service, and winning his 6th national title, soccer coach Jerry Yeagley retires; longtime assistant Mike Freitag named replacement
Sharon Brehm, IUB chancellor and and IU vice president for academic affairs, resigns
Lauren Robel named 15th - and first female - dean of the School of Law
Groundbreaking for new library
Barry Kanpol named campus dean of the School of Education
School of Medicine dedicates its newest facility, Research II
Charles Bantz installed as IUPUI's fourth chancellor
J. Thomas Forbes, former IU trustee and assistant vice president, returns to IU as executive director of state relations
Janet Rabinowitch named director of the IU Press
Rick Greenspan named Athletics Director.
Terry Hoeppener named IU's 26th head football coach.
Sociology professor Robert White named dean of the School of Liberal Arts
Marion Broome begins her tenure as the fifth dean and second university dean of the IU School of Nursing
IPFW celebrates 40 years
IU becomes first in nation to offer a Ph.D. in informatics
Bradley Hamm named dean of School of Journalism
Main Library renamed in honor of former President and University Chancellor Herman B Wells
Dan Smith appointed Dean of the Kelley School of Business
School of Music renamed Jacobs School of Music in honor of Barbara B. and David H. Jacobs following their relationship with IU and their $40.6 million donation to the school
Groundbreaking for expansion of Cancer Center
Center on Diversity established
James C. Wimbush named dean of the Graduate School
Daniel Callison named dean of the School of Continuing Studies
Mike Davis resigns as basketball coach, Kelvin Sampson is hired to fill the vacancy
Lilly Library acquires world’s largest collection of mechanical puzzles
Mathew J. Palakal appointed associate dean for Graduate Studies and Research for the School of Informatics
IU announces Cancer Center name will be changed to the IU Melvin and and Bren Simon Cancer Center, following a gift of $50 million from the couple
South Bend and South East
Trustees approve on-campus housing