Indiana University Arabic Literature Workshop
Upcoming Indiana Arabic Literature Workshops
Fall 2016 Indiana Arabic Literature Workshop
Free and open to the public
Free and open to the public
Workshop Director: Dr. Mustafa Binmayaba
Program of Events
Saturday December 7, 2013 Cedar Hall C-103
Opening Remarks: 9:15 am Professor Suzanne Stetkevych, Indiana University
Panel 1: 9:30- 11:00 am. Poetry and Politics in the Umayyad and Abbasid Periods
- Dr. Mohammad al-Qanaei, Indiana University/Kuwait University
"Tribalism and the Destabilization of the Umayyad State: Poetry and the Deposing of al-Walīd ibn Yazīd"
- Enass Khansa, Georgetown University
"Rivalry and Continuity in Ibn ʿAbd Rabbih’s Al-ʿIqd al-Farīd"
- Fahd Abdulaziz Alebdha, Indiana University
"The Arabic Qasīdah and Negotiation of Arab-Persian Ethnicities and Status from the Late Umayyad to the Late Abbasid Period"
First Year Graduate Student Roundtable: 11:15 am-1:00 pm
- Abdul Aziz Al-Faisal, Indiana University
"The Poetics of Grammar: The Conditional “man” in the Muʿallaqah of Zuhayr ibn Abī Sulmā"
- Inas Nassar, Indiana University
"Monotheism in pre-Islamic Poetry: Umayyah ibn Abī al-Ṣalt, ʿAdī ibn Zayd, and al-Samawʾal ibn ʿArīḍ"
- Abdullah Alotaibi, Indiana University
"The Classical Arabic Wine-Poem (Khamiriyyah): A Bibliographical Introduction"
- Shadi Bayadsy, Indiana University
"Architecture and/in Classical Arabic Poetry: A Bibliographical Introduction"
- Abd’Llah Al-Ansari, Indiana University
"Orality Confronts Enlightenment and the Winner is Didactic Poetry"
Panel 2: 2:00-4:00 pm. Performance and Comparative Aspects of the Arabic Ode
- Prof. Hussain Abulfaraj, King Abulaziz University, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
"News to the Capitals: Political Satire in the Maqsūrah of al-Mutanabbi"
- Ali Alnahhabi, Indiana University
"Reciting the Qasidah: The Performance Rituals of the Classical Arabic Ode"
- Nana Aba Bentil-Mawusi, Indiana University
"Behold the King: In Search of a Comparative Approach to African and Arabic Court Poetry"
- Al Amein Alshareif, Indiana University
"The Badī‘ Style and the Poetry of Madīḥ Nabawī: al-Qaṣīdah al-Shuqrāṭīsiyyah"
Panel 3: 4:15-5:45 pm. Modernism, the Nation and the Poetics of Tradition
- Prof. Abdulmueen Balfas, King Abdulaziz University, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
"Al-Barūdī’s Poetic Anthology and the Project of the Arab Revival (Nahḍah)"
- Katrien Vanpee, Georgetown University
"Pledging Allegiance with a Qaṣīdah: Nabaṭī Waṭaniyyāt from the UAE"
- Aya Bassiouny, Indiana University
"Sultans, Spiders, and Pharaohs: Literary and Historical Intertextuality in Muḥammad ʿAfīfī Maṭar’s “Rhythms of the Divine Craftsman”"
Concluding Remarks: 5:45-6:00 pm. Prof. Hussain Abulfaraj, King Abdulaziz University & Prof. Suzanne Stetkevych, Indiana University