Patrícia Amaral | Faculty
Assistant Professor, Department of Spanish and Portuguese
Office: GISB 2139
Ph.D., Hispanic Linguistics, The Ohio State University, 2007
M.A., Linguistics, University of Coimbra, 1999
B.A., Classical Languages, University of Coimbra, 1996
- Syntax-semantics interface
- Historical linguistics (syntactic and semantic change)
- Romance linguistics
- Language contact
- Experimental Pragmatics
- Amaral, Patrícia, and Ana Maria Carvalho, 2014. Eds. Portuguese/Spanish Interfaces. John Benjamins, Series “Issues in Hispanic and Lusophone Linguistics".
- Amaral, Patrícia Matos. 2003. Do paradigma ao modelo: a relevância da metáfora para a compreensão do processo interpretativo. Lisboa: Colibri.
- Amaral, Patrícia, and Fabio Del Prete. 2014. “On truth persistence”. Variation within and across Romance Languages. Selected papers from the 41st Linguistic Symposium on Romance Languages (LSRL), Ottawa, 5-7 May 2011. Edited by M.-H. Côté and Éric Mathieu, 135-154.
- Amaral, Patrícia. 2013. “On how to live and keep dying”. Selected Proceedings of the Hispanic Linguistics Symposium 2011, Eds. Sarah Blackwell, Chad Howe, and Margaret Quesada. Sommerville: Cascadilla Press, 269-280.
- Amaral, Patrícia. 2013. “The pragmatics of number: The evaluative properties of vivir + V[Gerund].” Journal of Pragmatics 51: 105-121.
- Amaral, Patrícia. 2013. “Children's knowledge of scales in the acquisition of almost”. Beyond Words: Content, Context, and Inference. Eds. Frank Liedtke and Cornelia Schultze. Berlin: Mouton de Gruyter (Mouton Series in Pragmatics): 91-108.
- Amaral, Patrícia, de Paiva, Valeria, Condoravdi, Cleo, and Zaenen, Annie. 2013. “Where’s the meeting that was cancelled? Existential implications of transitive verbs.” In: Proceedings of the 3rd Workshop on Cognitive Aspects of the Lexicon, Mumbai, India, The COLING 2012 Organizing Committee (December 2012), 183-194.
- Amaral, Patrícia, and Chad Howe. 2012. “Nominal and verbal plurality in the diachrony of the Portuguese Present Perfect”. Verbal plurality and distributivity. Eds. Brenda Laca and Patricia Cabredo-Hofherr. Berlin: Mouton De Gruyter (Series Linguistische Arbeiten), 25-53.
- Clements, J. Clancy, Patrícia Amaral, and Ana Luís. 2011. “Spanish in contact with Portuguese: The case of Barranquenho”. The Handbook of Hispanic Sociolinguistics, Ed. Manuel Díaz-Campos. Malden: Wiley-Blackwell (Blackwell Handbooks in Linguistics), 395-417.
- Amaral, Patrícia, and Chad Howe. 2009. “Detours along the Perfect path”. Romance Linguistics 2009. Selected papers from the 39th Linguistic Symposium on Romance Languages (LSRL), Tucson, Arizona, March 2009, Eds. Sonia Colina, Antxon Olarrea and Ana Maria Carvalho. Amsterdam: John Benjamins (Current Issues in Linguistic Theory 315), 387-404.