S302, Kewley-Port 10/9/07
1. Describe the difference between a harmonic series and a series of octave frequencies.
2. Describe in you own words what a Fourier series is.
3. There is a formula that relates the dB value for each harmonic for the sawtooth waveform.
a) Write down the formula.
b) What are the dB values for the first 3 harmonics? ____________, ____________, ____________
4. A sawtooth wave has an F0 = 150 Hz. Its spectral envelop decreases at 6 dB/octave. Draw the line spectrum for this sawtooth for the first 10 harmonics carefully with dB on the y-axis.
5. a) Describe in you own words what a phase spectrum is.
b) Look at the phase spectrum for the sawtooth waveform in Fig. 5-9. What are the phases of each of the harmonics in this figure?
6. Look at Figure 5-8. Explain what the amplitude spectrum is and how it relates to the white noise waveform shown in the figure.