Assignments in Research Ethics
S685 Spring 2009
D. Kewley-Port 3/23/09
Class Discussion for Ethics section
read before class the assigned chapters in Penslar and any other
readings listed (sometimes 'scanning' is noted).
- For each reading, a discussion leader has been chosen.
The leader will be responsible directing the class discussion for about 30
- For each Penslar chapter, the leader will pick one or two case
The leader will prepare any background
material they wish to present on the ethical issues raised. Note that
the "Instructional Notes" at the back of Penslar provides
The leader will select specific questions
for discussion in class.
- For other readings, the leader will bring in questions to be discussed. Leaders may post discussion questions under Oncourse->Forums->Ethics 2 days before the readings are discussed and email students that questions are posted.
- Students are required to turn in an essay developing
a sound ethical analysis and response to the case study they have presented,
or one discussed in class.
Refer to "Moral
Reasoning in Scientific Research" from the Poynter Center
which we used the first week of class for suggestions on the analysis
of your case.
The length of the essay should be from 4 - 10
pages (not to exceed 10 pages).
- The essay shall be turned in later than Wednesday, May
6, by noon.
Discussion Leader Assignments (30 minutes)
- Animal Welfare, April, 29 More Animal Welfare, April, 29
- Ethics in Tudor on April 8
Plagerism on April 20 (shared)
11 on April 6 Chapter
9 on April 29
4 on March 30 Chapter 12 on April 6
6 on March 30 Chapter 7 on April 22
- Fabrication on April 13 (auditor)
- Conflict of Interest on April 15 Chapter 15 on April 22
- Plagerism on April 20 (shared) Chapter 14 on April 27