How to Help Your Friend

last updated: March 31, 1995

Warning Signs

Are you concerned about a friend's drinking and/or other drug use? Do you wonder if s/he has a problem? You don't need to be an expert to know if your friend has troubles related to alcohol or other drugs. Your friend may need help if s/he:

If several of these warning signs apply to your friend, you have good reason to be concerned. The more signs that apply, the worse the drinking or drug problem is likely to be. Your friend may have other problems as well. But alcohol/drug abuse won't solve those problems and may even make them worse.

(The above is used with permission from the Wisconsin Clearinghouse pamphlet "How An Adult Can Help A Friend With An Alcohol Or Other Drug Problem")

If you would like more information please contact the Alcohol- Drug Information Center at 855-5414.