Ph.D, English, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida 2006
M.A., English, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida 2001
B.A., English, University of North Florida, Jacksonville, Florida 1999
Phone: (812) 855-2082
Office: Memorial Hall East, M-20
Download full CV
Area: American Cultrue Studies; African American Literature: Twentieth Century American Literature
Research Interests:African American Gothic Literature; Horror Films
Articles and Book Chapters
- “"St. Domingue/ Haiti, Villain/ Hero: Gothic Revisions of the Haitian Revolution in Victor Séjour's 'The Mulatto',” Callaloo (forthcoming)
- “Keys to a Hurricane: Reading Race, Class, and Abjection in The Skeleton Key,” Film International (forthcoming)
- “Gothic and the Politics of Race” in The Cambridge Companion to the Modern Gothic. Ed Jerrold E. Hogle, Cambridge University Press (forthcoming)
- "Toni Morrison's Gothic: Headless Brides and Haunted Communes" in A Companion to the American Gothic. Ed. Charles Crow, Wiley Blackwell Publishing (Fall 2013)
- “Torture Porn and Uneasy Feminisms: Re-thinking (Wo)men in Eli Roth’s Hostel Films,” Quarterly Review of Film and Video 29.5 (August 2012): 384-400.
- “The Abject Oath: British Psychosis and the Mythos of Mau Mau Oathing,” Ofo: Journal of Transatlantic Studies 1.1 (May 2011): 67-80.
- “Forgetting to Re-member: ‘Post-racial’ Amnesia and Racial History,” Reconstruction 9.3 (2009): online.
- "Haunting and Haunted Queerness: Randall Kenan’s Re-inscription of Difference in A Visitation of Spirits,” Callaloo 30.4 (Fall 2007): 1035-1053.
- “A Review of Donal Moriarty’s The Art of Brian Coffey,” Nua: Studies in Contemporary Irish Writing 3.1-2 (Spring 2001): 207-212.
Work in Progress
- “Misdirection and Slights of Hand: Queerness and the Abject in Randall Kenan’s Fiction,” Callaloo