I didn't receive an Air
Force ROTC scholarship before I
started college; are there
scholarship opportunities while I'm
In addition, thanks to our detachment's proud and long-standing tradition of excellence, service, and outreach to IU and the local community, Indiana University's AFROTC program enjoys some additional benefits and incentives especially for IU Bloomington cadets:
Yes. Depending on how many years you have left in college, you may qualify for a two- or
three-year scholarship. For more
details on scholarship
opportunities, please visit our Air Force ROTC Scholarships section.
- High school students receiving a 4-year Air Force ROTC scholarship receive a $1,000 bonus for joining the program at Indiana University
- Out of state high school students receiving a 3-year Air Force ROTC scholarship for their sophomore through senior years receive a 75% tuition remission from Indiana University for their freshman year
- $1000 contracting/signing bonus for in-college scholarship winners
- Plus, all IU Bloomington AFROTC cadets can earn additional cash through our "Pay for Performance" program. An outstanding GPA or physical fitness assessment score could earn you $250 - $3,000 OR MORE per semester!
shown toward scholarship cadets?
Definitely not! The fact that
a cadet may have an Air Force ROTC
scholarship has no bearing on an Air
Force career. Nor does it make any
difference while in the Air Force
Are there any
restrictions as to what students
select as their academic major?
None at all. In fact, we
encourage you to take a curriculum
you are interested in and in which
you have the capability to do well.
Our main academic concern is that
you maintain a Grade Point Average
(GPA) above 2.5 and attain your
degree in the time period planned.
The GPA requirements are different
if you are applying for a
scholarship and once you are on
scholarship. Check our scholarships section for those specific
Can I pursue graduate
education after I'm commissioned?
The Air Force is
education-oriented and financially
supports graduate studies. You can
apply for the Air Force Institute of
Technology to earn an advanced
degree on full scholarship.
Additionally, most bases have
graduate college programs, and you
may apply for the tuition assistance
program that pays 100 percent of the
How often can I take the
Air Force Officer Qualifying Test (AFOQT)?
The test is given several
times during the fall and spring and
can be taken a maximum of two times
with at least 6 months between
If I take Air Force ROTC
classes, am I committed to military
or government service once I join?
There is no service
commitment for students who take our
classes with no intention of
becoming an Air Force officer. For
these types of students, it's only
another class. If you are interested
in becoming an officer, there is NO
service commitment during the first
two years of the Air Force ROTC
program (the General Military
Course) unless you have an Air Force
ROTC scholarship. If you decide to
stay and join the POC (the last two
years of the program), you'll sign
an allocation contract with the Air
Force and are then under a service
obligation. For Air Force ROTC
scholarship students, you're
obligated once you've activated the
scholarship and have entered your
What are the benefits for students who begin Air Force ROTC their freshman year?
The benefits of enrolling in Air Force ROTC your first semester of college are:
- It gives you more time to participate in Air Force ROTC without obligation, to gain experience and to decide whether you want to apply for the advanced program, the Professional Officer Course (POC).
- You will have the opportunity to apply for scholarships if eligible.
- You can retake the Air Force Officer Qualification (AFOQT) test to improve your scores
What is the commitment to
the Air Force upon graduation?
Most officers have a
four-year commitment. For pilots,
it's ten years after pilot training,
and it's six years for Combat Systems Officers (fomerly known as Navigators) after training. Air Battle Managers and Remotely Piloted Aircraft (RPA) Operators also have a six-year commitment. See the Service Obligation section.