News & Events
Interior Design students win ASID Portfolio Competition
Congratulations to two of our interior design students, Joseph Su and Jason Wang, who are the winners of a national student portfolio competition sponsored by ASID (American Society of Interior Designers) this year! Both Joseph Su and Jason Wang presented their design portfolios this Saturday at the ASID National Summit at Savannah College of Art and Design to a panel of judges.
As the result of this national competition, Su has been offered an internship position at HKS Architect, while Wang has been offered an internship position at Gensler. Both HKS Architect and Gensler are two top global design firms. Congratulations again! For more information regarding the competition, please visit: https://www.asid.org/student-portfolio-competition#.VtOkpuapHjt.
- AMID's Jon Racek featured in Inside IU Bloomington this week
- IU students present design concepts for rehab of Bloomington's Dimension Mill building.
- Apparel Merchandising Students win Kohl's Invitational
- AMID Student Garret Ledbetter selected as finalist for the NRF Next Generation Scholarship Program
- IU AMID Professor Racek interviewed on IU Techbytes
- Indiana University student
designed custom ‘Chucks’
- AMID Students Win IU Cardboard Regatta
- IU AMID Professor Racek Talks about his work with Play 360.
IU AMID Professor Jiangmei Wu exhibits her work at national gallery in Thailand.
IU Students Win Group entry in the 2014 Student Design Competition.
Full Story » |
- IUC+D Director T. Kelly Wilson gave a Ted Talk on design: See like an artist, think like a designer, feel like a human.
- AMID Professor Racek works with IU’s Advanced Visualization Lab.
- IU-AMID Awards & Scholarships 2013-2014
- Apparel Merchandising and Interior Design Student, Kelsey Pepmeier, Wins 2014 Kate Hevner Mueller Outstanding Senior Award
- AMID student receives scholarship from National Retail Federation
Carlie Jensen recently won the $25,000 Next Generation Scholarship from the National Retail Federation. Read full story to find out more about Carlie, the Next Generation Scholarship, and the professors who inspired her to compete and win.
- Interior Design Area Spring Lecture Series:
Tuesdays at Noon (unless otherwise noted)
+ January 30th Bill Brown
+ February 18th Louis Joyner
+ March 4th Michael Bricker & Jessica Bricker
+ April 28th Christine Matheu
- Professor Ashley Hasty’s Themester “Connectedness: Networks in a Complex World” R490 Multichannel Marketing, class - POSTER SESSION – Student Building Room 231, December 9th at 10am
Students presented their work supporting AMID Alum, Jessica Quirk’s on-line marketing.
- IUCA+D sponsors visioning design charrette
October 26th and 27th, 2013
- Assistant Professor Kevin Lair IUCA+D/AMID presented (d) design - Re-envisioning Architecture in Columbus, Indiana with Spatial Agency and Design InnovationOctober 30th 2013 at the University of Cinicinati School of Architecture and Interior Design
- Cross Campus Workshops Offered by AMID Fall 2013
- Congratulations to Courtney Tilchen for winning a $5,000 Ray Greenly Scholarship from the National Retail Federation.
- Professor Mary Embry and founder and board president of Fair Trade Bloomington and her group led the effort for Bloomington to become a "Fair Trade Town." Full Story »
- Design and retail students join forces on real-world projects. Full Story »
- AMID Student Receives Provost’s Award. Full Story »
- IU Design Students Work with Real Clients. Full Story »
Lecturer Mary Embry received a Beth Wood Distinguished Service-Learning Faculty Award. The award recognizes faculty who have demonstrated excellence in three areas: 1) teaching pedagogically strong and mutually beneficial service-learning classes, 2) participating in Service-Learning Program events (as both attendees and presenters) and 3) raising visibility of service-learning on and off campus.
- IU lecturer's Purple Dress Project raises awareness of Crohn's disease. Full Story »
- IUCA+D Columbus launching new "Summer Design Workshop"
- Visit Art at IU for story on (d) design symposium panelist/speaker Marcel Botha.
- Professor Meriem Chida’s R327 New Product Development course is featured in the IU News for Campus wide Sustainability initiatives.
Full Story »
- AMID student attends Retail Industry’s Big Show. Full Story »
- Academy Award-winning costume designer James Acheson is coming to Indiana University. Full Story »
- AMID student wins National Retail Federation’s prestigious Ray M. Greenly Scholarship.
- Ever-changing installation on display at IUCA+D. Full Story »
- IUCA+D featured in Advocates Magazine.
- Linda Xiong featured in Indiana University Alumni Magazine: Competition Yields an IU Plaid
- IU lecturer’s design work found on playgrounds across the globe. Full Story »
- Design Studies Lecturer builds playground in Kenya. Full Story »
- SIFE wins Regional championship and moves on to National competition. Full Story »
- AMID students share sustainability projects. Full Story »
- The New IU Official Plaid Has Been Chosen. Full Story »
- IUCAD professor speaks at TEDxHarlem. Full Story »
- AMID students showcased in New School of Fashion Show. Full Story »
- AMID Students honored by YMA Fashion Scholarship Fund. Full Story »
- Mad for plaid: Help choose IU's official plaid by voting online. Full Story »
- Students invited to submit designs for IU's official plaid. Full Story »
- New IU Center for Art and Design dedicated in Columbus. Full Story »
- AMID Lecturer Mary Embry attended Symposium in China. Full Story »
- IU's SIFE team announces 2011-2012 outreach projects. Full Story »
- 'Tie and dye' textile artist to visit IU as guest of Bill Blass Fashion Design Seminar Series. Full Story »
- IU Bloomington SIFE team wins regional competition, prepares for nationals. Full Story »
- Apparel merchandising and interior design department to participate in new art and design center in Columbus, Indiana. Full Story »
- Erika Wadler, IU AMID alum and InStyle Magazine's Executive Director of Advertising Sales--American Fashion & Retail, received College of Arts & Sciences Outstanding Young Alumni Award, October 15, 2010.
- Susan Kirkman, IU AMID alum 1982, named President of Brooks Institute, Santa Barbara, California.
- AM Major Marci Reid
attended SIFE World Cup
Los Angeles, CA, Oct. 10-12
SIFE World Cup brings together an international network of more than 1,500 student, academic, and business leaders from more than 40 countries.
In addition, Marci was selected to represent her team at the Chartis Consumer Credit Counseling Forum, based on their campus work to educate freshman and seniors about credit issues.
- IU 'Design Matters' forum focuses on sustainable design
- Faculty and alum mourn the loss of colleague and friend, Cecilia Roach
- Ashley Hasty - Noon Talk: She Wore What?!
April 15, 12:15 - 1 p.m.
IU Art Museum
- Brian Smith - Bill Blass Speaker
March 24, 2015, 3-4 p.m.
IMU Whittenberger Auditorium
- Exhibit: Vintage is the New Black
Opening: January 16, 2015
On View: January 12 - February 13
- IUCA+D: Interview with Artist Martha MacLeish
Thursday, December 11, 2014, 6 pm
- 2014 Retail Forum
IMU Wittenberger Auditorium
- Painting: Expanded
October 10, 7 - 9pm
On View: October 10 - November 15
- We Are City [EXPORT] Talk
September 25, 6:00 pm
Senior Spring Fashion Show
Thursday April 3, 7 p.m.
IMU Alumni Hall
- The Early Architectural Works of Harry Weese
April 4 & 5, 2014
IUCA+D Columbus, IN
Press Release »
- Big Bright Steel
January 17 – February 28
A Collaboration in Steel by Emily Kennerk, Jennifer Riley, and Noblitt Fabricating
An exhibition featuring a large scale sculptural installation made with scrap sheets of steel provided by Noblitt Fabricating with drawings,
prints and designs on paper and fabric created by Riley and Kennerk.
- Renowned Textile Designer visits IU as Bill Blass Design Lecturer
Designing for Luxury Brands
February 19 4-5pm
IMU Georgian Room, Bloomington, IN
Changing the Brand Image of a Luxury Brand
February 20 6-7:30pm
IUCA+D Columbus, IN
an exhibition of contemporary design
November 8 - late December
Opening Reception for the Artists:
Friday, November 8, 6 pm - 8 pm
IU Center for Art + Design
- Folding into Light
November 1st - 30th
Gallery Talk: November 15th 10:00am-11:15am
Ivy Tech John Waldron Arts Center
- Reception for the artists,
Andrew Neyer and Andy J. Miller
Friday, October 11
6:00-8:00pm at the
IU Center for Art+Design gallery
- Fall 2013 Opening Convocation
Tuesday, September 3rd, 2013
- Bill Blass Fashion Design Lecture Series presents
Eleanor Lambert: The Empress of Fashion
Presented by John Tiffany
Wednesday, April 24, 4-5:15 pm
Frangipani Room—Indiana Memorial Union
Free and open to the public
- Bill Blass Design Speaker series presents Ball State University, Associate Visiting Professor, Mike Silver on Tuesday, April 16h. He will be speaking to a selected AMID course from 2:30-3:45 pm in Ballantine Hall 109. Silver will discuss innovations in fashion and interdisciplinary design.
- (d) design symposium
April 9th at the
Kelley School and 10th, IUCA+D
- At IUCA+D Columbus
Albert Marichal Assistant Professor of Architecture University of Texas at Arlington
Microurbanism: small scale urban design
Monday 2/11/13 6:00
- IUCA+D Speaker at the State Room West IU Memorial Union:
Architecture + Fashion
Tuesday 2/12 9:30 to 10:30
- IUCA+D exhibition series to examine role of drawing in art creation
12/14/12 - 1/18/13
- Enactus holds Fair Trade Holiday Sale 11/29 & 11/30
- 10/9/12: RSO Retail Forum 2012
- 9/22/12 -11/29/12: IUCA+D Gallery Exhibition: Exquisite Corpse
- Iowa State University - College of Design 4th year Architecture Studio Faculty Presentation
Friday, 6:00p.m., 9/14/2012
- AMID students present new exhibition at the Monroe County History Center
April 6-August 25, 2012
- Reception for Graduating Seniors
- Retail Industry Field Seminar to New York City May 7th through May 11th
- Designer and Project Manager L. Brittain A. Brewer Lecture: How do you become a designer? Why would you want to?
- Fashion Design Students Present Fashion Show of their Creations
- AMID faculty contributes to Couched Constructions exhibit at Herron School of Art & Design
- AMID and IUCA+D welcome Textile Artist Mary Hark
- Exhibition by IUCA+D's new faculty Wilson and Lair. More »
- Mathers Museum Lecture: Dr. Heather Marie Akou on Looking at Somali History and Dress through the Lens of Postage Stamps
- Visiting Scholar Susan Neill presents lecture at the Whittenberger Auditorium & IUCA+D-C.
- Retail Forum 2011 was a great success! Full Story »
- Exhibit: Fashioning a Legacy Irwin Sweeney Miller Style
- Retail Studies Organization Fall 2011 Events
- Lecture Presentation: Sharon Kilfoyle
SHIBORI - THE BASICS AND BEYOND
Friday, September 23, 2011 10 a.m.
Indiana Memorial Union, Walnut Room
- Shibori Pleating & Dyeing Workshop
Friday - Sunday, September 23-25, 2011
Fri. 1 p.m. - 5p.m.
Sat. 9 - 5
Sun. 10-12 noon
Memorial Hall East 020C
Workshop RSVP: firstname.lastname@example.org
- CIDA Visit April 9-12
Smith Research Center Room 163
- Design Interaction Day
February 25th 9-5 in Columbus
more info to follow
- RSO Field Seminar to MAGIC Apparel Tradeshow
Las Vegas, Feb 15-16
- RSO is having a Recruiter Roundtable 1/25 Georgian Room @ IMU 7-8pm
- RSO is having a Resume Critique followed immediately by a Finish Line Focus Group 1/18 Frangipani Room @ IMU from 6-8 pm.
- Designer Natalie Chanin, Alabama Chanin
Speaking as part of Themester
Mon. Oct. 25, 4:00
Whittenberger Auditorium, IMU
- David Wolfe, Creative Director-The Doneger Group, trend and color forecasting, RSO special guest lecture
Tuesday November 2, 2010, 7:00 pm
Georgian Room, IMU.
- AMID Prof. Mary Embry
To speak in Prof. Christine Barbour's themester sustainability course
Nov. 9, 4:00
open to the public
- Retail + Design Forum
Industry Executive Speaker Series
Sponsored by AMID Retail Student Organization
Tues. Oct. 5, 9:00-5:00
Whittenberger Auditorium, IMU
- Design Matters: Sustainability and the Build Environment
Speaker Panel & Forum
John Rouse, Carlos Martinez, Hunter Kaiser
Friday, October 1 2010
3:00 pm - 4:30 pm
- Textile Artist & Author, Carmen Benavente
Speaking as part of Themester
Mon. Sept. 20, 4:00
Whittenberger Auditorium, IMU