Visiting Assistant Professor
Department of American Studies
Latino Studies Program
Office: 814 E. Third Street, Rm. 118
Phone: (812) 855-4745
E-mail: aiacosta indiana.edu
Ph.D., Anthropology, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2010
M.A., Anthropology, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2007
B.A., History and Anthropology, University of California, Riverside, 2003
Latina/o migration and diaspora; labor, race and citizenship; social movements; immigrant rights; Latino cultural production; and gender and Chicana feminism
- LATS-L 101 Introduction to Latino Studies
- AMST-A 201 Borders and Borderlands
"Celebrating Las Posadas in the Heartland: Creating Home in New Immigrant Destinations." Anthropology News (Section News: Association for Latina/o Anthropologists). Arlington, VA (February 2011).
"Negotiating and Engendering Labor Migration in the Twenty-First Century: Mexicana's "Funds of Knowledge" in the Midwest." Latina/o Research Review, 7, 3 ("U.S. Latinas and Latin American Women"). Albany: Center for Latino, Latin American, and Caribbean Studies, SUNY (September 2010).
"La Raza." Latinos and Latinas in U.S. History and Culture: An Encyclopedia, eds. Carmen Lugo-Lugo and David Leonard (M.E. Sharpe, 2009).
"Fear of a 'Brown' Society: Latina/o Laborers in East-Central, Illinois." Diálogo: Latina/o Studies Magazaine, Number 11 (Human Rights Issue). Chicago: Center for Latino Research, De Paul University (Summer 2008).
Book ManuscriptMigrant Home Making, Reshaping the Heartland: Latino Diasporic Settlement and Cultural Practice in Rural America (in preparation)
Honors and Awards
- Cathy Acevedo Award for Commitment to Students, University of Illinois, May 2011
- National Science Foundation Diversity Fellowship, University of Illinois, Spring 2009
- University Block Grant, Departmnet of Anthropology, University of Illinois, Fall 2008
- Barbara A. Yates Research Award, Women and Gender in a Global Perspective, University of Illinois, 2008-2009
- "Outstanding" Rating in List of Teachers Ranked as Excellent, University of Illinois, 2007
- Pre-Dissertation Research Grant, Department of Anthropology, University of Illinois, 2005