2012 REU Alumni
- REGINA RINGER, Tuskegee University
"Vasoactive Intestinal Polypeptide and Seasonal Flocking and Aggression in Four Emberizid Sparrows"
Mentors: Leah Wilson and Dr. James Goodson
- BERNADETTA BERNATOWICZ, University of Scranton
"Expression of Arginine Vasotocin in Brain Regions that Influence Sexually Dimorphic Electrocommunication in Apteronotus leptorhynchus"
Mentors: Dr. Troy Smith
- BRITTANY C. PRICE, North Carolina State University
"Larger Shoals Disrupt Rheotaxis Performance in Zebrafish (Danio rerio)"
Mentors: Delia S. Shelton and Dr. Emilia P. Martins
- ISABEL ROJAS-FERRER, University of Puerto Rico—Mayaguez
"Habitat Heterogeneity Influences Social Interactions in Zebrafish (Danio rerio)"
Mentors: Delawrence J. Sykes, Kuwade Huey-Robinson, and Dr. Emilia P. Martins
- CANDACE L. COOPER, Claflin University
"Energetic trade-offs between the reproductive and immune systems in female Siberian Hamsters (Phodopus sungorus)"
Mentors: Elizabeth D. Carlton and Dr. Gregory Demas
- BRANDON DUNCAN, Point Loma Nazarene University
"Why Do Some Animals Produce More Testosterone Than Others?"
Mentors: Dr. Kimberly Rosvall
- MACIEJ GONEK, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
"Analysis of Morphine Reward and Dependence in Desensitization-Resistant Cannabinoid 1 Receptor (CB1) Mutant Mice"
Mentors: Dr. Mackie and Dr. D.J. Morgan
- JASMINE M. MOLIN, Spelman College
"Within-Host Competition between Two Sympatric Insect-Parasitic Nematode Species"
Mentors: Dr. Farrah Bashey-Visser
- MARCO NAVARRO, Saint Louis University
"Acoustic Trauma and Sertonergic Plasticity: Dealing with Damage in a Noisy World"
Mentors: Dr. Adam Smith and Dr. Laura Hurley
- SHANNON PERRY, Wesley College
"The Effects of Sexual Experience on Male Mouse Ultrasonic Vocalizations"
Mentors: Jessica Hanson, Sarah Keesom, and Dr. Laura Hurley
2011 REU ALUMNI
- TICIA WATSON, Cheyney University of Pennsylvania
"Thermoregulatory huddling by infant mice is augmented by nest configuration"
Mentors: Dr. Jeffrey Alberts and Delia Shelton
- VALERIE A. METZLER, Eastern Mennonite University
"Quantifying the relationship between a salivary measure of functional immunity and peer ratings of physical attractiveness in young men and women"
Mentors: Dr. Michael P. Muehlenbein and Sean Prall
- MARY-JEANETTE ANDREWS, Indiana University - Bloomington
Sensitivity of mice with a desensitization-resistant cannabinoid receptor 1 (CB1) to endogenous cannabinoids and Δ9-tetrahydrocannabinol"
Mentors: Drs. Ken Mackie and Daniel Morgan
- KRISTIN C. QUINN, Spelman College
"Sexual Orientation Differences in the Meaning of Having 'Had Sex'"
Mentors: Drs. Stephanie A. Sanders PhD, Brandon J. Hill, and Elizabeth M. Webb
- LUCAS GONZALEZ, Miami Dade College
"Effect of RTI-113 on cocaine self-administration and cued-reinstatement in rats"
Mentors: Dr. George Rebec and Alan Barker
- DANNY FERNANDEZ, Georgia State University
"Effects of Blocking Androgen and Estrogen Receptors on Electrocommunication Signals in a Weakly Electric Fish"
Mentor: Dr. G.Troy Smith
- SONYA JAYARATNA, Indiana University—Bloomington
"Size, Sensitivity, and Signal: Examining sources of variation in gonadal testosterone production across subspecies of the dark-eyed junco (J. hyemalis)"
Mentors: Dr. Ellen Ketterson, Dr. Kimberly A. Rosvall, and Christine Bergeon-Burns
- TYLER PERFITT, DePauw University
"Identification of Novel Lipid Mediators as Putative Endogenous Ligands for the Transient Receptor Potential Vanilloid 1 Channel"
Mentors: Dr. Heather B. Bradshaw and Siham Raboune
- MELISSA PROFFITT, Concord University
"Steroid Regulation of Seasonal Aggression in Female Siberian hamsters" (Phodopus sungorus)
Mentors: Dr. Gregory Demas and Nikki Rendon
- JOSE OYOLA, Cornell University
"Sceloporus lizards with blue signaling patches have ventral surfaces that contrast with their habitat"
Mentors: Dr. Emilia Martins and Alison Ossip-Klein
2010 REU ALUMNI
- NATASHA TONGE, Swarthmore College
"The Brain-body connection: Does mRNA expression in the brain predict phenotype?"
- KAISHA BELLINGHERI , Alabama Agricultural & Mechanical University
"Dietary lipids increase activity levels and behavioral stress in zebrafish (Danio rerio) exposed to a social stimulus"
- RANDA AMIN, University of Maryland: Baltimore County
Ethanol self-administration and conditioned-place preference are altered in desensitization-resistant cannabinoid 1 receptor (CB1) mutant mic
- CAROL CARTER , Teacher, Clear Creek Elementary, Bloomington, IN
"Lessons developed to teach third grade students scientific investigation design related to animal behavior
- CHELSEA HOLMAN. University of Calif.—Santa Cruz
"Electric organ discharge modulations in Brown ghost knifefish (Apteronotus leptorhynchus) and the effect of pheromones
- BRITTANY PALMER, Tuskegee University
"The ontogeny of huddling in C57BL/6 mouse pups
- JOHNNY SALDATE, University of Arizona
"Neuromodulators and behavior: Social regulation of serotonin in the auditory midbrain
- SIERRA STRINGFIELD, University of Michigan—Ann Arbor
"The relationship between estradiol and stress, positive & negative affect, sex role, and self-esteem in men and women
- LISA WEATHERLY, Thiel College
"Effects of estraiol on electrocommunication behavior in Apteronotus albifrons on populations of Peru and Columbia
- MIA PERTILLA, Tuskegee University
"Lipids affect the behavior of some strains of zebrafish: Geographic origin plays a role
- ANTHONY BUONO, Providence College
"Lipidomics on the hypothalamus and midbrain after acute peripheral inflammation
- BRIAN GRESS, Iowa State University
"Seasonal sociality and territoriality in sparrows correlate with neuropeptide and aromatse anatomy
- PHILLIP WHARTON, Indiana University—Bloomington
"Leptin increases endocannabinoid receptor expression in Siberian hamsters (Phodopus sungorus)"
2009 REU ALUMNI
- SYBIL ANDRIEUX, SUNY College—Old Westbury
"Prenatal social stress affects Siberian Hamster (Phodopus sungorus) offspring social behavior and physiology
- NAILAH SMITH, Xavier University of Louisiana
"The functional effects of endocannabinoid signaling on Siberian Hamsters across photoperiod
- DANFENG WANG, Indiana University—Bloomington
"Does food supplementation enhance immune function in reproductive femal
Sagebrush Lizards, (Sceloporus graciosus)?
- NESHA JAIRAM, Spelman College
"Maternal contributions to sensory experience in the fetal mouse (Mus musculus)
- MATTHEW MAY, Indiana University—Bloomington
"The effects of cat odor on unlearned and learned defensive behavior in responding and non-responding Sprague Dawley rat
- STEPHEN KEELER II, Pennsylvania State University
"Social interactions alter serotonin levels in the inferior colliculus
- ROSE HITE, Indiana University—Bloomington
"Effects of food and social manipulation on zebrafish (Danio rerio) behavior
- LORE MCBROOM, Winston Salem State University
"Habitat and sex differences in task performance in zebrafish
- AZIZA LASS, Prairie View A&M University
"Female mate choice for condition-dependence and genetic compatibility
- KELSEY MCCUNE, Randolph College
"Interspecific differences among three local entomopathogenic nematodes
- ALLISON MILLER, University of California—San Diego
"Olfactory discrimination capabilities of the Dark-Eyed Junco (Junco hyemalis)
- CHRISTOPHER JOHNSON, Louisiana State University
"Relative dependence of rats on allocentric vs. egocentric cues in locating a safety platform in a water maze or a food location in an arena"
2008 REU ALUMNI
- GILDA BOBELE, Georgetown University
"The effect of endocannabinoids on carbachol induced contractions in the rat uterus
- KEN FORMBY, University of Wisconsin—Whitewater
"Sexually dimorphic communication behaviors in Sternarchogiton natteri
- LORNA MORENO, University of Puerto Rico—Rio Piedras
"Variation in signal detection in Sceloporus undulates lizards
- JESSIE RACK, Slippery Rock University
" Sexual dimorphism of electrocommunication signals across populations of weakly electric fish, Apteronotus albifrons
- KATIE REIMINK, Kalamazoo College
"Nicotine entrainment treated with mecamylamine decreased post-injection activity
- SOPHIA ROBERTS, Oberlin College
"Regulatory competence in mice
- HEATHER VEGA, Lamar University
"The role of social feedback in gesture production of 14-18 month-old infants and their caregivers
- CASSANDRA WALDMAN, Baylor University
"The effect of the environment and shoal composition on the behavior of zebrafish (Danio rerio
- KELLY ZALOCUSKY, Hendrix College
"Functional subdivisions of the medial amygdale in male zebra finches (Taeniopygia guttata
2007 REU ALUMNI
- JULIANA BELEN, University of Puerto Rico—Mayaguez Campus
"Role of DHEA in mediating seasonal aggression in male Siberian Hamsters (Phodopus sungorus)
- SHAWNA BUERKLE, North Carolina State University
"Sexual asymmetry in Sceloporus graciosus visual performance
- LAUREN BRIERLEY, Hope College
"Are ape limb proportions adaptations for physical aggression or arboreality?
- STEPHEN CHANG, University of Michigan
"The effects of cocaine-related cues on triggering relapse and activating doral prefrontal cortex
- KATHY DANIELS, New Castle High School teacher
"Evolution--Convergence, divergence and adaptation lessons developed to teach evolution and ecology to middle and high school students
- MARGARET DONAHUE, Rochester Institute of Technology
" Voltammetric study of the effects of autoreceptor activation on serotonin in the inferior colliculus of mice
- VICTORIA FLORES, Brown University
"Injury response of the pacemaker nucleus after spinal cord transection in Apteronotus leptorhynchus
- MELISSA GREULICH, University of Wisconsin
"Vegetation and water condition effects on zebrafish Danio rerio behavior
- JANELL HARRO, Illinois Wesleyan University
"The effects of a context shift on chronically restrained animals tested in an instrumental appetitive-to-aversive transfer task
- LAUREN HAROLD, Tuskegee University
"How many injections of nicotine can a rat anticipate in one day?
1991-2006 REU ALUMNI
Ethics Workshop Cases
1 JULIA COLTRANE CASE
2 MARTY BROWN CASE
3 MOLLY WATERS CASE
4 WALTER GUTHRIE CASE