Janet Kennedy | Faculty - Emerita
Ph.D. Columbia University
- European art 1900-1920, Russian art. Areas of interest include stage design for Russian ballet and opera productions, as well as more general research on issues of nationalism, nostalgia, and gender and sexuality in Russian art of the early 1900s.
- "Pride and Prejudice: Sergei Diaghilev, the Ballets Russes, and the French Public" in Art, Culture, and National Identity in Fin-de-Siècle Europe, edited by Michelle Facos and Sharon Hirsh (Cambridge University Press, 2003)
- "Domestic Politics: The Biedermeier Revival in Alexandre Benois's Saint Petersburg," Studies in the Decorative Arts (forthcoming)
The "Mir iskusstva Group" and Russian Art 1898-1912 (Garland, 1977).
- "Shrovetide Revelry: Alexandre Benois's Contribution to Petrushka" in Petruska: Sources and Contexts, edited by Andrew Baruch Wachtel (Northwestern University Press, 1998).
- "Line of Succession: Three Productions of Tchaikovsky's Sleeping Beauty" in Tchaikovsky and his World, edited by Leslie Kearney (Princeton University Press, 1998).
- Picasso (A347)
- Russian Art (A480)
- Topics in Modern Art: Avant-Garde Art and Design in Russia (A340)
- 20th Century Art 1900-1924 (442)
- Dada and Surrealism (A349)
- Women Artists in the 20th Century (A490)
- Senior Honors Seminar: Gender and Genius in 20th Century Art (A400)
- Topics Arts and Humanities: Picasso and the Creation of Modern Art (E103)
- Problems in Modern Art: Art Museums and the Public Trust (A640)
- Problems in the Late 19th and Early 20th Century European Art: Modern Art and the Science of Perception (A645)
- Museum Studies (A590)
- Topics in Modern Art: The 60's
- 20th Century Art: 1925-1970
- Art 1925 to the Present