Jeffrey Saletnik | Faculty
Assistant Professor, Department of the History of Art
Spring 2014 office hours: Wednesdays 11:00 - 1:00 p.m or by appointment
Ph.D., University of Chicago
M.A., Williams College, Graduate Program in the History of Art
B.A., Oberlin College
B.M., Oberlin Conservatory of Music
- European modernism; visual culture of the interwar years
- Exchange between Europe and North America
- Media theory
- Modern architecture and design
- History and theory of pedagogy
- Relationships between the visual arts and music
- Contemporary art; time-based media, including performance, sound, and cinema
- “John Cage, le fonctionnalisme et la pédagogie du Bauhaus,” in Christophe Kihm and Valérie Mavridorakis, ed., Transmettre l’art. Figures et méthodes - Quelle histoire?. Dijon: les presses du réel, forthcoming 2013.
- “Trophy IV (for John Cage),” Rauschenberg Research Project, produced as part of the Getty Foundation's Online Scholarly Catalogue Initiative, July 2013. San Francisco Museum of Modern Art, [URL].
- “László Moholy-Nagy, John Cage und die Kreative Dynamik,” in Wulf Herzogenrath, ed., “John Cage und…” Bildender Künstler – Einflüsse, Anregungen. Berlin: Akademie der Künste; Köln: DuMont Buchverlag, 2012: 60-70.
- “John Cage and the Task of the Translator.” Art in Translation, vol. 4, no. 1 (March 2012): 73-88.
- Bauhaus Construct: Fashioning Identity, Discourse and Modernism. London: Routledge, 2009; edited with Robin Schuldenfrei.
- “Introduction” and “Pedagogic Objects: Josef Albers, Greenbergian Modernism and the Bauhaus in America,” in Jeffrey Saletnik and Robin Schuldenfrei, ed., Bauhaus Construct: Fashioning Identity, Discourse and Modernism. London: Routledge, 2009: 1-9, 83-102.
- Contributions to: Artforum, Tate Papers, and Chicago Art Journal
Honors and Awards
- American Council of Learned Societies (ACLS) New Faculty Fellowship, held at Amherst College
- Mellon Postdoctoral Teaching Fellowship, Department of Art History and Archaeology, Columbia University / Andrew W. Mellon Foundation
- Berlin Program for Advanced German and European Studies Fellowship, Freie Universität Berlin / German Studies Association
- Abba Lipman Dissertation Grant, The University of Chicago, Department of Art History
- Terra Foundation for American Art Summer Residency in Giverny, France
- Stuart Tave Teaching Fellowship, The University of Chicago, Humanities Collegiate Division
- Getty Research Institute, Library Research Grant
- Fulbright Award, IIE – Germany, held at Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin
- Deutscher Akademischer Austausch Dienst (DAAD), held at Goethe-Institut Berlin