Julie Van Voorhis | Faculty
Associate Professor, Department of History of Art
Adjunct Associate Professor, Department of Classical Studies
Ph.D. New York University
- Ancient Greek and Roman marble sculpture with an emphasis on the Hellenistic period, Roman Republic and Roman Empire (including the Late Empire)
- The history of collecting antiquities from the Roman Republican period to the present day.
- Current projects include a study of re-worked portrait sculpture and a book on Hadrian and the classical revival in Roman sculpture.
- Aphrodisias II: Roman Portrait Sculpture from Aphrodisias, written in collaboration with S. Dillon and C. H. Hallett, and J. Lenaghan, and R. R. R. Smith (Mainz am Rhein: Philipp von Zabern, 2006).
- Aphrodisias IV: The Sculptor’s Workshop at Aphrodisias (Mainz am Rhein: Philipp von Zabern, (forthcoming)
- "The Working and Re-working of Marble Sculpture at the Sculptor's Workshop at Aphrodisias" in. Ateliers and Artisans in Roman Art and Archaeology (Journal of Roman Archaeology supplemental series, volume 92) Birte Poulsen and Troels Myrup Kristensen, eds. Portsmourth, RI, 2012, 38-54.
- “Local Sculptors, Local Markets: The Economy of Marble Sculpture at Aphrodisias in Caria,” Proceedings of the Conference on the Economics of Roman Art, Oxford Studies on the Roman Economy (forthcoming).
- “Two Portrait Statues of Boxers and the Culture of Athletics at Aphrodisias in the Third Century C.E.” in Aphrodisias Papers 4, edited by R. R. R. Smith and Christopher Ratté. (Portsmouth, RI: Journal of Roman Archaeology, 2008).
- “Apprentices’ Pieces and the Training of Sculptors at Aphrodisias,” Journal of Roman Archaeology 11 (1998) 175-192.
- Instructional Development Summer Fellowship, Indiana University (for Summer 2006)
- Trustees Teaching Award, Indiana University, Bloomington
- Edward A Schrader Summer Grant for archaeological research, Indiana University
- A101 Ancient to Medieval Art (Survey)
- S103 The Art of Roman Spectacle (Freshman Seminar)
- A206 Classical Art and Archaeology (cross-listed with Classical Studies)
- A216 Art and Life in Ancient Rome
- A310 Topics in Ancient Art: Art and Life in Ancient Egypt
- A310 Topics in Ancient Art: The Classical Body (from 600 B.C. – A.D. 400)
- A312 Art of the Roman Empire from Augustus to Constantine
- A316 Ancient Art from Alexander the Great to Augustus
- A410 Topics in Ancient Art: Representing History in Roman Art
- A417 Roman Sculpture
- A418 Roman Architecture
- A616 Graduate Seminar