2010 Departmental Awards and Achievements
Staff | Faculty | Grad Students & Postdocs
Indiana University Long-Term Service Recognition
- Tammie Wise - 30 years
- Beth Peterson - 30 years
- Melodee Shaw - 25 years
- Alice Eads - 25 years
- Cathy Todd - 20 years
- Jeremy Neimann - 15 years
- Aaron Fellows - 10 years
- Mike O'Connor - 10 years
- Eva Allen recognized for role in grant application process.
- Patty Hooten recognized for service to the new Molecular, Cellular and Biology Department.
Staff recognized for community service
- Mary Ann Miller recognized as lead coordinator on the Indiana University campus for the American Cancer Society Daffodil Days.
- Jessica Hooten recognized as the department's Unit Leader for the United Way Campaign. IU faculty, staff and students raised nearly $760,000 in 2009-2010 for the Monroe County United Way.
- Matt Hahn & Greg Velicer - awarded tenure and promotion to Associate Professors.
- Craig Pikaard - appointed the Carlos O. Miller Chair of Plant Growth and Development; also received the Distinguished Agriculture Alumnus Award from Purdue University.
- Kevin Cook - promoted to Senior Scientist in the research ranks.
- Danielle Whittaker - promoted to Assistant Scientist in the research ranks.
- Dan Kearns - received Outstanding Junior Faculty Award.
- Al Ruesink - Student Alumni Association 2010 Student Choice Award for Outstanding Faculty.
- Laura Hurley, Dan Kearns, Justen Andrews - Trustee Teaching Awards
- Joe Pomerening - awarded Senior Class Award for Teaching Excellence in Biology & Dedication to Undergraduates
- Clay Fuqua - NIH Genetics, Cellular and Molecular Sciences T32 Training Grant renewed
- Ellen Ketterson - NIH Common Themes in Reproductive Diversity T32 Training Grant renewed; elected fellow to the American Association for the Advancement of Science.
- Keith Clay - awarded IU's first Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) Silver certification by the U.S. Green Building Council, awarded in recognition of the energy saving construction and design of the IU Research and Teaching Preserve field lab building.
- Armin Moczek - awarded Long-Term Sabbatical Fellowship from the National Evolutionary Synthesis Center for the 2010-2011 academic year.
- Yves Brun - elected to American Academy of Microbiology.
- Matt Hahn - awarded a Sloan Research Fellowship for his work in the field of Computational and Evolutionary Molecular Biology.
- Soni Lacefield and Ke Hu - both awarded Basil O'Connor started scholar research awards from the March of Dimes Foundation.
- Roger Hangarter - won a 2009 Emmy Award along with Sam Orr for their production of the PBS special "Natural Heritage of Indiana - Life in the Water".
Graduate Students and Postdoctoral Fellows (top)
- Konetzka Fellowship - Loralyn Cozy, Amelia Tomlinson
- Outstanding AI - Nicole Gerlach
- Hoover Fellowship - Nicole Gerlach, Deanna Soper, Daniela Vergara
- Hudock Fellowship - Christiane Hassel
- Kristal Cain, Danielle Whittaker and Kim Rosvall received research awards from the Indiana Academy of Science.
- Sears Crowell Scholarship - Karen Bohorquez and Animesh Shukla
- Heiser Fellowship - Wittaya Kaonongbua
- Wm. G. Roessler Microbiology Scholarship - Michael Hibbing
- Common Themes in Reproductive Diversity Training Grant - Amy Dapper, Winnie Ho, Christy Bergeon Burns
- Genetics, Cellular and Molecular Sciences Training Grant - Angela Berger, Rebecca Calvo, Rebecca DeWoody, Brynn Heckel, Benjamin Kester, Robert Kobey, Melissa Parrott Konkol, Thomas Redditt, Laura Vineyard
- McCormick's Science Grant awarded by the College of Arts and Sciences - Velocity Hughes
- NSF Predoctoral Fellowships - Elizabeth Carlton (Demas lab); Amy Dapper (Moczek/Wade labs); Dean Castillo (incoming first year student); Jessica Hanson (Hurley lab); James Klatt (Goodson lab); Dawn O'Neal (Ketterson lab). Honorable mention-Rachel Hanauer (Ketterson lab).
- NSF doctoral dissertation improvement grant - Wenli Li (Lynch lab) and COAS Dissertation Year fellowship.
- Todd Blevins in Craig Pikaard's lab is the recipient of an NIH postdoctoral fellowship.
- Dawn O'Neal in Ellen Ketterson's lab was awarded an NSF Postdoctoral Fellowship.
- Indiana University Herman B. Wells Graduate Fellowship - Jonathan Atwell (Ketterson lab) for 2010-2011 Academic year. Jonathan also received the 2010 Wm. Rowland Mentoring Award.
- Taylor Fellowship awarded Fall Semester 2009 to Rebecca Calvo (Kearns lab)
- EPA Star Fellowships awarded to Dave Civitello and Jessica Hite in Spencer Hall's lab.
- Anna Larimer was awarded an NSF Dissertation Improvement Grant and a Plant Floyd Final Year Fellowship. (Bever lab)
- Elizabeth Middleton was awarded a Plant Floyd Final Year Fellowship (Bever lab)
- Jessica Duchicela won Outstanding Poster at The Galapagos Symposium, Ecuador (Bever lab)
- Antino Allen, who got his PhD in Troy Smith's lab, received a four-year postdoctoral fellowship through the NIH-funded IRACDA program at UCSF.
- Smirla Ramos-Montanez (Winkler lab) will pursue postdoctoral training in the laboratory of Dr. Ferric Fang in the Department of Laboratory Medicine and Microbiology at the University of Washington Seattle starting in Fall, 2010.
- Emile Snell-Rood, a postdoc in Armin Moczek's lab, has accepted an Assistant Professor, tenure track position at the University of Minnesota starting Spring 2011
- Yaniv Brandvain in Mike Wade's lab has received a UC Davis Center for Population Biology Postdoctoral Fellow Award, NSF Bionformatics Postdoctoral Fellow Award and is a finalist for a Life Science Research Fellowship.
- Dave VanDyken's original research paper, published in Genetics, was highlighted in Nature Review Genetics. (Wade lab)
- Anna Larimer (Keith Clay's lab) was awarded an NSF DDIG and a Floyd Final Year Fellowship.
- Dan Johnson, Collin Hobbs and Evie Rynkiewicz were each awarded grants from the Indiana Academy of Science. (Clay Lab)
- Wes Beaulieu was awarded grants from Sigma Xi and the Chatham Fellowship from the Missouri Botanical Garden. (Clay lab)