2011 Departmental Awards and Achievements
Staff | Faculty | Grad Students | Postdocs
Indiana University Long-Term Service Recognition
- 40 years, Joel McCoy and John Lemon
- 35 years, Kathy Wyss
- 30 years, Betty McGlocklin
- 15 years, Bryan Walters and Sarah Nelson
- 10 years, Ryan Salerno, Tracey Stohr and Rossanne Walden
- Bill Niswander received a 2010 Indiana University Staff Merit Award. This is a campus wide award that recognizes staff for their service to the University.
- Jeremy Bennett has been elected to the Bloomington Professional Staff Council
- Special recognition was given to Alice Eads for coordinating the Undergraduate reception on Saturday, May 7 and to Linda Kerns who coordinated the Holiday Party and the Spring Reception.
- Kathy Wyss and Jeremy Bennett also received recognition for organizing several receptions this past year for guest speakers and faculty recruits.
- Roger Innes also mentioned that some long-time Biology employees will be taking advantage of the University’s Early Retirement Incentive Program and the names of these individuals will be announced in June.
- Leonie Moyle, Dan Kearns, Spencer Hall, & Justen Andrews – tenure and promotion to Associate Professor
- Jim Goodson – promotion to Full Professor
- Curt Lively - promotion to Distinguished Professor.
- Ellen Ketterson and Jim Bever received NSF OPUS awards.
- Roger Innes, Roger Hangarter, Lynda Delph and Rudy Raff were elected fellows of the American Association for the Advancement of Science.
- Mike Wade – will be on sabbatical next year
- Award Received: NESCent Sabbatical Fellowship
- Roger Innes elected American Academy of Microbiology
- Joe Pomerening selected to be a Kavli Fellow of the U.S. National Academy of Sciences.
- Fellows are selected by a committee of Academy members from among young researchers who have already made recognized contributions to science. Joe is also the recipient of the Senior Class Award for Teaching Excellence in Biology and Dedication to Undergraduates.
- Rich Hardy, Curt Lively and Mike Wade received the Trustees’ Teaching Award.
Graduate Students (top)
- Loralyn Cozy
Award Received: NSF Postdoctoral Fellowship
Post-doctoral position accepted: Dr. Sean Callahan (University of Hawaii) development in cyanobacteria.
- Kyle Hetrick
Award Received: Second Place, Graduate Student Presentations, Indiana Branch of the American Society of Microbiology Annual Meeting
- David Van Dyken
Award Received: NSF Postdoctoral Fellowship
- Tami Cruickshank
Award Received: NESCent Postdoctoral Fellowship
- Adrian DeShaun Land, who will complete his Ph.D. degree this month in Malcolm Winkler’s lab will become a Postdoctoral Fellow in the laboratory of Dr. Petra A. Levin at Washington University in St. Louis.
Shaun also received the City of Bloomington's Commission on the Status of Black Males 2011 Outstanding Black Males Leader of Tomorrow award
- Harald Parzer
Awards Received: Rowland Mentoring Award (2011)and the IU Collegium on Inquiry in Action TEAGLE Award (2010-2011)
- Amy Dapper
Award Received: NSF Predoctoral Fellowship (2011-2013)
- Emily Chester
Award Received: Hanna Kolodziejski Fellowship, 2011
- Jacqueline Ho
Awards Received: Sigma Xi, The Scientific Research Society, 2010
Louise Constable Hoover Fellowship, 2011
NSF International Research Experiences for Students (IRES) Fellowships, 2011
- Elizabeth Carlton
Award: Sigma Xi, Grant-in-aid of Research, 2011
- Nikki Rendon
Award: NSF Predoctoral Fellowship (honorable mention) 2011
- Animesh Shukla
won the Award for "Best Poster" at the 36th Midwestern/Southeastern Photosynthesis Meeting.
- Mark Peterson
Award: NIH CTRD traineeship for 2011-12
"Best Oral Presentation" at the North Carolina State Keck Center for Behavioral Biology's Graduate Student and Postdoc Symposium
- Christy Burgeon Burns participated in formulating a successful proposal that will fund a new Thematic Learning Community for Women in Sciences and Mathematics here on campus. The community will begin accepting students Fall 2013 with the goal of improving retention levels and grade point averages for undergraduate women majoring in the STM fields.
- Dustin Reichard, Deanna Soper,Daniela Vergara, Evie Rynkiewicz and Daniel Johnson have been awarded an NSF Doctoral Dissertation Improvement Grant
- Rachel Hanauer
Award: NSF Graduate Research Fellowship
- Marta Shocket
Award: NSF Predoctoral Fellowship
IU Floyd Summer support
- David Civitello:
Awards:IU Floyd/Cleland/Ogg Dissertation year fellowship
IU Floyd Summer support
- Jessica Hite
Awards: IU Floyd summer support
IU Graduate and Professional Student Organization grant
Travel grant, IU Office of the Vice President for International Affairs
- Dean Castillo
Awards: Indiana University Graduate Scholars Fellowship
- Meghan Midgely
Award: Indiana Academy of Science grant for her proposal “Nitrogen deposition effects on soil carbon dynamics: the role of mycorrhizal association in mixed hardwood forests.
- Peter Zee
Award: NSF East Asian and Pacific Summer Fellowship
- Elise Morton
Award: NIH EID Travel Award
- Wittaya Kaonongbua
Award: BSA-Mycological Section Travel Award
- Susanne Kraemer and Helena Soares both (independently) received research fund grants from the Indiana Academy of Sciences Fall 2010.
Susanne Kraemer has also received and accepted a postdoc position offer from Rees Kassen at the University of Ottawa.
- Luke Flory former graduate student and Post-doc in the Clay lab has accepted a faculty position at the University of Florida.
- Emilie Snell-Rood former Post-doc in Armin’s lab accepted an Assistant Professor position, at the University of Minnesota
- Tim Linksvayer former graduate student in the Wade lab is an Assistant Professor at the University of Pennsylvania
- Britt Koskella former graduate student in the Lively lab won the 2010 RA Fisher award for best paper published in Evolution by a graduate student. Britt has accepted a faculty position at Exeter University.
- Sarah Schaack former graduate student in Mike Lynch’s lab has accepted a faculty position at Reed College
- Ryan Bezy former graduate student in Dave Kehoe’s lab accepted an Assistant Professorship position at Mount Mercy University in Cedar Rapids, Iowa.
- Andrian Gutu former graduate student in Dave Kehoe’s lab is an HHMI Postdoctoral Fellow in the Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology at Harvard University.
- Skye M. Barendt, former graduate student in the Winkler lab is a Postdoctoral Fellow in the laboratory of Dr. Peter Zuber at the Oregon Health and Science University in Portland.
Postdoctoral Fellows (top)
- Levi Morran in Curt Lively’s lab,and April Nesbit, in Dave Kehoe’s lab, Todd Blevins and Ross Cocklin in Craig Pikaards’s lab, are the recipients of NIH Postdoctoral Fellowships.
- Post-doc Carolina Penalva-Arana in the Lynch’ lab has accepted a position with the EPA. Carolina will work in the National Center for Environmental Assessment division. Her team will figure out the potential ecological risk of any new proposed projects for energy production, water control, etc. The next big project is figuring out the effects of hydraulic fracturing or fracking - or mining/drilling for gas under shale beds.
- Ina Meier former post-doc in Rich Phillips’ lab has accepted a job as an Academic Assistant at the University of Goettingen, in Germany.
- Claire Burns a post-doc in Mimi Zolan’s lab has accepted an assistant professorship at Washington and Jefferson College in Pennsylvania.