Programs we don't have formally, but might easily encourage
summer research internships for undergraduates at local and regional biotech companies
career mentoring with our graduate and undergraduate students
lunchtime chats with students
mini job fairs in the atrium
IU Biology in the Community
The website of the Department of Biology Office of Science Outreach lists opportunities for precollege and undergraduate students, and offers resources for science teachers. (Note: the OSO site would be appropriate to move into this section of the departmental site, if Jose is interested.)
IU Biology faculty are available to serve as speakers for classroom visits.
Many of our scientists contribute their time and expertise to WonderLab, Bloomington's museum of science, health and technology. Recent WonderLab projects involving IU biologists include....
Our scientists regularly participate in local events for pre-college students, including Brownie Science Day....
Bringing the Community to Campus
The Department of Biology organizes several summer research experiences for precollege and non-IU undergraduates, including:
- Holland Summer Enrichment Program and Lilly Scholars Program, for minority students from Indiana's high schools
- NSF Research Experience for Undergraduates
The exhibit cases, artwork, and greenhouses on the first floor of Jordan and Myers Halls attract many school groups and other visitors.
- Stop by on your own to explore our displays, or contact XXX to arrange a visit for a group.
- Check out our "Visit Us" page for more information about visiting the Department of Biology, and online tours.
The College of Arts & Sciences Science Outreach Office coordinates science activities on the Bloomington campus, including:
- Science Olympiad annual state tournament
- Science Olympiad annual Summer Fun Camps
- Indiana Junior Academy of Sciences annual meeting and competition