Skip to Content, Skip to Site Navigation, Skip to Section Navigation, Skip to Search
Indiana University Bloomington

Department of Biology

Faculty & Research

Faculty Orientation Guide

Business Office | Human Resources | Payroll | Departmental Office
Graduate Office | Undergraduate Advising Office
 Development Office | Computing & Web Support
 Service Center & Purchasing Office | Facilities & Lab Services
Additional Faculty Benefits | Injuries & Accidents

Business Office (JH 127) (top)

New Faculty Biosketches
  • Each fall, new faculty members complete personal biosketches. The biosketch is a brief, one-paragraph description of your educational background and employment history prior to IU, along with a synopsis of your current research. See Jennifer Tarter for examples and deadlines.
The Departmental Curriculum Vitae (CV)
  • Annual merit ratings determine salary increments and (after tenure) teaching load. Since your departmental CV is the basis for your annual merit review, the CV should contain everything that you want considered in the review. The Department Chair, a member from each program area, and the Associate Chair for Teaching serve on the review committee.
  • Merit scores are determined based on your accomplishments over the current and past two years. You are reviewed on the ongoing success and productivity of research, teaching, and service, which are rated on a scale from 0 to 4. The higher of the research and teaching scores is multiplied by three and the lower by two. The sum of these is added to the service score to yield the overall merit score.
  • When developing your departmental CV during spring semester, highlight items for the current calendar year by putting those dates in boldface (i.e., for the CV prepared in January 2011, the dates for all items for 2010 and 2011, if known, are in boldface). See Jennifer Tarter for a template.
Graduate Faculty Membership
  • All tenure-track faculty are granted graduate faculty status at the time of appointment. The Department of Biology will notify the University Graduate School of your appointment. An endorsement to chair doctoral dissertation committees is granted separately by a vote of an advisory or steering committee. The department usually permits all tenure-track assistant professors to chair Ph.D. dissertation committees.
  • Graduate faculty status can be revoked by the Dean of Graduate Studies upon the recommendation of the Graduate School Council.
Tenure and Promotion
  • For detailed information and guidance regarding tenure and promotion, contact Jennifer Tarter.
Fiscal and Budget Affairs
  • Debbie Martindale is responsible for fiscal, policy, and internal control management of all funds in the Department of Biology. This includes contract and grant accounts, university accounts, Foundation accounts and direct cost returns. She also assists faculty with grant submissions, especially budget construction; answers questions concerning account balances, start-up funds, new faculty moving expenses and supervises administrative services for the department.
  • Linda Kern is responsible for grant activities after the grant has been awarded, including grant reconciliation, questions concerning account activity and balances, and assistance during the close out process. Linda also is responsible for external subcontract activity, including reconciliations and answering questions.
Grant Support and External Funding
Conflict of Interest Disclosure Certification
  • The Principal Investigator/Project Director must have a current, approved Conflict of Interest disclosure form completed. Visit IU's Office of Research Administration COI page to submit this form electronically. The Project Director must ensure that all project participants also have disclosures completed; his or her signature on the approval on the routing form certifies this.
Human Subjects, Laboratory Animals, and Biosafety Review
  • The "Compliance Services" section of the IU Office of Research Administration website contains research guidelines and required forms.
  • All proposals involving the use of human subjects must be reviewed and approved by the Bloomington Campus Committee for the Protection of Human Subjects.
  • A Proposed Use of Animals for Research/Teaching form must be completed if a proposal uses vertebrates.
  • A Biosafety Application Form must be completed for all proposals involving the use of recombinant DNA molecules, human blood, body fluids, or tissue.
Meal Reimbursements
  • For all meal reimbursement questions, contact Ryan Salerno.
  • If you take a department guest out for a meal, please be aware of the following: Original, itemized receipts and the names of all attending the meal are required. Students and staff should be made aware of the cost limits.
  • If a guest is staying at the Indiana Memorial Union (IMU), meals are not allowed to be charged to the room. Meal must be paid out of pocket and submitted for reimbursement.
  • Seminar Speaker Meal Reimbursement Limits: Breakfast–$25, Lunch–$75, Dinner–$250 total visit.
  • Faculty Recruiting Meal Reimbursement Limits: Dinner–$200 for 1st visit, $300 for 2nd/3rd visits. There are no specific limits on breakfast or lunch, but you are asked to keep it reasonable.
Travel Services
  • For all travel questions, contact Ryan Salerno.
  • Travel Authorization: Employee Travelers should “create a trip” in the IU online travel system called Travel@IU, accessible through OneStart, prior to the trip. More information and instructions are available in the links in Travel@IU.
  • Each traveler is responsible for their own expenses.  Do not pay expenses for other travelers.  For tracking purposes and to keep University accounts from being vulnerable to fraudulent claims, travelers can only be reimbursed for their own expenses.
  • Booking Travel/Expenses: Out-of-pocket expenses are reimbursed after the trip has concluded by completing a Reimbursement Request Document in Travel@IU. You must have itemized receipts for all expenses with the exception of meals. Meals are reimbursed through your per diem allowance.
  • Prepaid Expenses: Airfare, lodging, and limo reservations may be directly billed to an IU account; airfare can be arranged through one of IU’s designated travel agencies or IU Orbitz Online. More information available at Conference registration can be prepaid using your IU Purchasing Card (P-Card), or by utilizing the prepayment option in Travel@IU. To get a Travel Request Number, contact Ryan.
  • Use of P-Cards: With the exception of conference registration fees, NO TRAVEL EXPENSES ARE ALLOWED ON P-CARDS (airfare, lodging, etc.).
  • A Travel Reimbursement Form will be in your mailbox when you return from your trip. Fill it out, attach all itemized receipts, and submit it to Ryan. For hotel receipts, make sure the receipt is itemized, indicates the fee was paid, and shows how the fee was paid. Express checkout invoices that indicate a balance are not acceptable.
  • Please note the following IU Travel Reimbursement Policy: Travelers (employee and non-employee) will have 60 days from the return date of their trip in which to submit travel reimbursement claims. Reimbursements submitted after this 60 day period will be considered taxable income. After 120 days from the return date of the trip, there will be no reimbursement.
Events Calendar
  • This Week in Biology (TWIB) is a weekly list of events of interest to Biology faculty, staff, and students. Email event announcementsPh.D. defenses, seminars, and journal clubs—to at least a week in advance of the event to have them posted on the online calendar and in the TWIB.
  • Visit the Biology main page to see upcoming events, and Biology's events calendar for a comprehensive listing of events.
  • You can also email biotalk to request announcements be forwarded to the departmental email distribution lists.

Human Resources (JH 127) (top)

Personnel Management
  • Faculty may contact Jeremy Bennett concerning all aspects of personnel management, including recruitment, hiring and discharge, benefits including medical and paid family leave, and visa applications, etc.
Paid Family Leave
Staffing a Lab
  • Faculty research labs are staffed by Postdoctoral Fellows, Research Associates, and Research Technicians. Therefore, it is important to recognize how Indiana University distinguishes among these positions. Postdoctoral Fellows and Research Associates are non-tenure track academic appointees, with search procedures monitored and approved by the College of Arts & Sciences, Office of Affirmative Action and Office of the Vice Provost for Faculty and Academic Affairs. Research Technicians are appointed support staff positions advertised and hired through University Human Resource Services. Contact Jeremy Bennett to discuss which position title is appropriate for your lab. He will also guide you through the University’s recruitment and hiring process and provide you with a draft offer of employment. A brief description of each position follows.
Postdoctoral Fellows and Research Associates (exempt academic appointees)

Non-Tenure-Track Academic Appointee Handbook

  • A Postdoctoral Fellow position is temporary and appropriate for an individual who has recently received a doctoral degree and is seeking a limited period of advanced training (1-3 years normally) at Indiana University before pursuing a career elsewhere. The beginning salary of a Postdoctoral Fellow is typically based on the NIH stipend level for a postdoctoral fellow with 0-1 year of experience. Postdoctoral Fellowship recipients receive the stipend awarded by the funding agency and maintain the position title throughout the funding period. Postdoctoral Fellow salary increases in subsequent years are based on performance and productivity and given pursuant to Indiana University budgetary guidelines. Fellowship stipend increases are determined by the award.
  • A Research Associate position is considered permanent albeit continuing employment is contingent on performance and the availability of funding. In addition to research, Research Associates have responsibilities associated with laboratory management. Research Associate salaries vary according to the duties and responsibilities of the position and the qualifications of the applicant. Salary increases in subsequent years are based on performance and given pursuant to Indiana University budgetary guidelines.
  • Twelve-month Research Associate and Postdoctoral Fellow appointees are entitled to a one-month (22 working days) vacation with full compensation for each calendar year. Vacation time is pro-rated based on start date. Vacation is not cumulative, i.e., if vacation time is not taken during one year, the employee is not entitled to two months’ vacation during the next year. It is the responsibility of the faculty supervisor and the employee to maintain a record of time off.
  • To establish a Postdoctoral Fellow or Research Associate position, provide Jeremy Bennett with a description of the primary duties and responsibilities, minimum education and experience and knowledge, skills and abilities required for consideration, salary range and start date. Every step of the search—Vacancy Notice, Interview Request, Offer Request—is monitored by the University, and faculty must work closely with Jeremy during the recruitment and hiring process. In some instances, faculty may identify an individual uniquely qualified for the position and request a waiver from the normal academic search; however, it is recommended that faculty follow the University’s search guidelines. No employment commitment should be made by any faculty member unless the offer letter and credentials of the candidate have been routed to the Office of the Vice Provost of Faculty and Academic Affairs for approval.
Visa Sponsorship
  • The majority of foreign nationals employed as Research Associates or Postdoctoral Fellows are sponsored by the Department of Biology on a J-1 research scholar visa. No J-1 filing fees are charged to the supervising faculty member. Currently, J-1 research scholars must be supported at the following level: $1,200/month for the J-1 visitor; $500/month for the first dependent; $300/month for each additional dependent. However, many J-1 visitors are self-supported by their home institution. The duration of stay is from three weeks up to a maximum of five years.
  • Research Associates and Postdoctoral Fellows may also be sponsored on the H-1B visa, which is position and employer specific. Filing fees for the H-1B visa application ($325 application fee and a $500 anti-fraud fee for new petitions) are charged to the faculty supervisor’s non-federal account. Prior to submitting an H-1B application, the Office of International Services requests a prevailing wage determination from the Department of Labor (DOL), which is meant to provide a fair and equitable wage in the field of employment and region of the country. The prevailing wage may be higher than the wage quoted in the offer letter. If this is true, the salary offer must be increased to match the wage determined by the DOL. An individual may stay in H-1B status for a maximum period of six years.
  • Jeremy Bennett initiates all visa applications on behalf of the Department of Biology. Please contact him when you wish to invite someone to visit your lab and see things to consider when hosting an international visitor.
Research Technicians: (non-exempt support staff)

Personnel Policies for Appointed Support Staff Represented by CWA, Local 4730

  • Research Technician positions are advertised, recruited, and hired through University Human Resource Service (UHRS). UHRS assigns the position classification, and the salary is determined by the University’s support staff salary guidelines. Salary increases in subsequent years are given pursuant to Indiana University budgetary guidelines. All Research Technicians new to the University serve a four-month evaluation period with the option of a two-month extension. If it is decided at any time during the evaluation period not to continue employment, Jeremy Bennett should be notified before the employee is informed. University employees transferring from another position on-campus are not subject to a second evaluation period. Faculty members are obligated to provide Research Technicians with adequate training and supervision. Research Technicians should be subject to periodic performance reviews and work improvement plans should be developed for those not meeting performance expectations. Research Technicians who have completed their evaluation period may only be disciplined or discharged for just cause. A Research Technician has the right to have a union representative present at any disciplinary meeting where he or she has a reason to believe that disciplinary action may be taken. All corrective actions may be appealed by the employee through the Grievance/Complaint Resolution procedure. Faculty must consult with Jeremy Bennett prior to discharging a Research Technician.
  • A Research Technician is a continuing appointed support staff position. Although funding for a Research Technician position may be limited in duration, the campus Human Resources office must be contacted prior to notifying an employee of a layoff, and the campus Human Resources office will notify CWA, Local 4730 at the time the employee is notified. The department has specific responsibilities regarding a layoff, and University policy must be followed.
  • Time off for Research Technicians is cumulative and may be taken for bereavement, income protection (sick time), vacation, etc. All requests for time off are subject to supervisory approval. Research Technicians complete an electronic time sheet and are paid biweekly. Supervisory approval of a time sheet confirms that an employee is being compensated only for hours in pay status. It is recommended that faculty only allow Research Technicians the privilege of working hours outside of the normal work day after they have demonstrated that they are capable of fulfilling the requirements of the position. If an alternative work schedule is approved, it is the responsibility of the immediate supervisor to see that employee accountability is maintained.
  • Faculty who wish to request a Research Technician position, should provide Jeremy Bennett with a description of the primary duties and responsibilities, minimum education and experience and knowledge, skills and abilities required for consideration. UHRS advertises and accepts applications for positions through an on line portal. UHRS reviews the applications, determines which applicants meet the minimum qualifications, and forwards these applications to the department for consideration. Jeremy should be consulted before a formal offer of employment is extended.
Hourly Employees (non-exempt either student or non-student)

Personnel Policies for Hourly Staff Employees at IU

  • Hourly employees have either student or non-student status and are defined as those employees not occupying a budgeted line position (an appointed position) and are temporary, at will employees. Hourly employees are normally hired to perform the routine tasks that must be done in a research lab that typically require 20 hours or less per week to complete (i.e. wash glassware, rack pipette tips, etc.). Hourly positions are advertised and hired directly through the Biology Payroll Office; see Jessica Hooten in JH 127D for assistance. Hourly positions are not eligible for income protection time (sick leave), paid holidays, or group insurance. Each hourly employee must route their time report to a supervisor, who is accountable for ensuring that time recorded is time worked. The supervisor, having direct knowledge of time worked, approves the time sheet before it is routed to payroll.

Payroll Office (JH 127D) (top)

Reasons to visit the Payroll Office
  • To appoint new employees (work-study, hourly, research assistants, research associates, postdocs, etc.).
    • All new employees (excluding fellowship recipients) should be accompanied by their supervisor to the Payroll Office for processing before they begin work.
    • Associate Instructors must report to the payroll office immediately
      prior to the start of the semester to sign their contracts.
  • Notary service.
  • To change withholding taxes.
  • To change address, marital status, or other personal information.
  • To have a letter written for a parking permit.
  • To have a letter written for employment verification.
  • For salary or any other payroll-related issues.
Monthly and Biweekly Payroll
  • Payroll for appointed biweekly staff, hourly, and work-study employees is processed on a biweekly basis.
  • Payroll for faculty, academic, and monthly-appointed staff is processed each month.
Hiring an Employee
  • When you are ready to hire an hourly employee, Jessica Hooten can post job ads and assist with finding work-study students.
  • Important note: If an employee is going to be hired as an academic appointee or an appointed biweekly position, such as a laboratory technician, you must see Jeremy Bennett before he or she can be hired. Jeremy must first create any academic positions and biweekly appointed positions.
  • Once hired, all new employees must be brought to the Payroll Office before beginning work. All new employees should report to the Payroll Office to present work authorization documents and complete the necessary paperwork.
  • After you hire an employee, you must fill out a Supervisor’s form in the Payroll Office.
  • Remember, it is just as important to tell the Payroll Office when an employee is leaving as it is to let them know when an individual is being hired. A letter of resignation should be sent to the Payroll Office to initiate the official termination process.

Departmental Office (JH 142) (top)

Mailboxes and Mailings
  • Sign up for your mailbox.
  • Send items by FedEx: Shipping supplies may be obtained from the Departmental Office, including the documents required for overseas shipments.
Course Support - Printing
  • Have color or black and white copies made for your classes, including readings, articles, or transparencies. Bring hardcopies to the Departmental Office or e-mail Rossanne Walden with the file, the class name, your account number, and details about the copying job.
  • Request printing or copying jobs 24-48 hours in advance.
  • Ask Rossanne for current costs for making color and black and white copies.
  • Print posters; contact Rossanne for details.
Course Support - Equipment, Room, and Vehicle Reservations
  • Available for use in the Departmental Office: power three-hole punch, paper cutter.
  • Equipment Reservations: You can check out a luminator, laptop, overhead projector, and slide projector from the Departmental Office.
  • Room Reservations: Contact Rossanne to reserve JH A310 (capacity 18), JH 440 (capacity 30), or JH 248 (capacity 50).
  • Lab Meeting Reservations: At the beginning of the semester, a sheet will circulate for faculty members to reserve a room for lab meetings. Be sure to contact Rossanne if you need to reserve a conference room but have not seen the sign-up sheet.
  • Vehicle Reservations: Contact Rossanne with the date, time, how long you will need the vehicle, and any special considerations.
  • Motor Pool Reservations: Contact Rossanne to make university motor pool reservations on your behalf.
Course Support - Miscellaneous Services
  • With advance notice and a drop box, students can turn in class assignments at the Departmental Office.
Keeping your Information Updated
  • Fill out an information sheet in the Departmental Office when your phone number, address, or other information changes.
  • Each fall semester, a lab update sheet will circulate. Be sure to provide updates for your lab and its members.

Graduate Office (MY 150) (top)

Graduate Advising
  • Gretchen Clearwater, our graduate advisor guides and advises graduate students. Graduate students can get information on requirements for M.A. and Ph.D. degrees in each graduate program.
  • Records for all graduate students (past, present, and future) are kept in the graduate office. Specific data about past years can be obtained from this office.
  • The graduate advisor guides faculty and students regarding support mechanisms, i.e., the availability of Associate Instructor (AI) positions, and makes AI assignments.
  • The graduate advisor assists in the development of schedule planners for registration for graduate students and their faculty advisors.
  • The graduate office coordinates the application and admission process as directed by the MBG and EEB admissions directors. The advisor works directly with new faculty as well as the individual admissions directors in establishing the recruitment needs for individual labs.
  • The MBG REU program is coordinated by Melody Inabinette in the Graduate Office.
Graduate Student Recruitment
  • Tracey Bradley, Graduate Student Recruitment Coordinator, is responsible for outreach efforts on behalf of the graduate programs in the department.
  • Along with the faculty, the graduate recruiter sets short- and long-term goals and recruitment strategies to increase the number of applicants to the graduate programs and promotes diversity.
  • The graduate recruiter maintains a departmental speakers' bureau, and helps coordinate faculty visits to schools that target underrepresented students
  • The graduate recruiter coordinates prospective student visits throughout the year, and during the Graduate Recruitment Weekend. Faculty members who wish to participate on the steering committee or wish for their current graduate students to host a graduate student recruit may contact Tracey.
  • The graduate recruiter works with all forms of media to promote interest in the graduate programs. Short PowerPoint slideshows highlighting the GCDB, Microbiology, and EEB programs are available to faculty members.
  • Faculty may also request information packets designed to help them field inquires from prospective graduate students when they visit other universities.

Undergraduate Advising Office (JH A115) (top)

  • Undergraduate advisors (Anna Bednarski, Kate Emblom, Carolyn Estell, and Mary Ann Miller) are available to meet with students considering Biology, Biotechnology or Microbiology as a major and those who wish to declare a minor in Biology and/or a minor or Area Certificate in Animal Behavior.
  • Alice Eads is the Student Services Coordinator for the advising office, and the Program Director for the Undergraduate Teaching Assistant program.
Course Waitlist Information
  • Students can add themselves to a wait list using OneStart. They can contact the Registrar’s Office with questions at 855-0121.
  • If you want more students in a section and a wait list has started, contact Tammie Wise to raise the maximum enrollment. Beginning the second week of classes, you can add students by using the drop/add form, but check with Tammie to avoid over-enrolling a section.
L490 - Individual Study and Lab Credit
  • L490 permission to enroll forms are available in the Advising Office. The faculty advisor completes the form, and the student returns it to the Advising Office to receive an online authorization to register for L490.
  • Students can talk with an advisor for more information.
Staying Informed
  • There are a number of ways for students, faculty, and staff to stay up to date on the latest Biology events. Visit the undergraduate Website ( for helpful information. Additionally, the BioBlog ( is a weblog for undergraduates that provides information about job openings, events, new classes, and academic guidance.
L499 - Undergraduate Teaching Assistants (UTA)
  • UTAs assist faculty, lab coordinators, and Associate Instructors. First time UTA must enroll for credit (L499). Second time UTAs have the option of credit or receiving a stipend. For program information please visit the Biology's UTA web page. Alice Eads is the UTA Program Coordinator.
Removal of Incompletes and Changing of Grades
  • To remove a grade of ‘I’, the student should consult the instructor and complete a Declaration of Intention to Remove an Incomplete Grade form. The student should NOT re-enroll in the course.
  • All grade changes and removal of Incompletes are completed on-line on the Onestart Faculty Center eGrade Change Initiate tab. Please contact Alice or Tammie if you have any questions.
Undergraduates and Pre-College Students in Your Lab
Undergraduate Researchers
  • Undergraduates can be recruited to participate in your research through several different programs. Links to each program can be found on the Undergraduate Research Opportunities web page.
  • IFLE: Incoming students can participate in the Integrated Freshman Learning Experience, which starts with a 6-week stint in a faculty lab the summer before their freshman year. They also receive a small scholarship, and take advanced science courses during the fall and spring semesters of their freshman year. Contact Dr. Jo Anne Tracy to volunteer to be an IFLE faculty mentor.
  • STARS: STARS is a College science program that gives science students four years of research experience by having them join a lab their freshman year. They spend 8-10 hours per week in the lab. Incoming freshmen interview with faculty January through March. The program includes a spring symposium and a supply grant. Contact Dr. Jo Anne Tracy to volunteer to be a STARS mentor.
  • L490: Undergraduates enroll in L490 to conduct an independent research project, to conduct research leading to an honors thesis, or to gain experience in a lab. L490 pairings are initiated by the undergraduate, using the mentor list maintained by the Biology Undergraduate Advising Office; however, if you are particularly interested in recruiting an L490 student into your lab, you can invite top students from the courses you teach or you can ask an undergraduate advisor to post a note on the BioBlog maintained by their office. Contact Alice Eads at or 855-3810 to have your name added to the list of L490 faculty mentors.
  • Capstone: The Capstone program provides upper-level science majors an opportunity to perform experimental research during the summer. Capstone students are generally already associated with a research lab; this program supplies stipends and supply grants to support their research. Contact Jeremy Bennett to find out how to become a mentor for a Capstone student.
  • CISAB REU: The Center for the Integrative Study of Animal Behavior runs a 10-week summer REU program for non-IU undergraduates. Participants are placed in the lab of a faculty mentor, and are expected to spend at least 40 hours a week working on a project and give an oral presentation at the end of the program. Contact Linda Summers at or 855-9663 to volunteer to be a CISAB-REU mentor.
Pre-College Students
  • Holland SEP: The department runs the 1-week James P. Holland Summer Enrichment Program for minority students from Indiana high schools. Top students are invited back for a second summer underwritten by the Eli Lilly Foundation, during which they spend the week working in the laboratory of a faculty mentor. Contact Jennifer Tarter to volunteer to be a Holland SEP faculty mentor.

Development Office (JH120) (top)

  • Kathy Wyss manages the Department of Biology’s stewardship efforts, donor generated scholarship/fellowship programs, cultivates and maintains alumni relationships, coordinates special lectures and creates special projects to inspire current and potential donors to support Biology’s research and educational programs.
Alumni Relations
  • Kathy is editor-in-chief of the Biology alumni newsletter. The newsletter highlights the achievements of Biology’s faculty, students, staff, and alumni, as well as the research activities of our faculty and students. Contact Kathy if you have newsworthy events to share or if you have information on a former student to add to the class notes section of the newsletter.
Coordination of Special Departmental Lecture Series

The Development Office is actively involved with several special lecture series, including:

  • James P. Holland Memorial Lecture: The Holland lecture is intended to bring awareness and support of diversity in the life sciences.
  • Carlos O. Miller Lecture in Plant Molecular Biology: The Miller lecture web page contains information about past and future speakers. Miller lecture contacts include Kathy or Professor Craig Pikaard, Miller Chair in Plant Developmental Biology.
  • Tracy M. Sonneborn Lecture Series: The Sonneborn lecture series focuses on genetics research. 
  • Joan Wood Lecture Series: The Wood lecture celebrates women in science and showcases the many career opportunities available to students. 
  • See Kathy for further information on any of these topics or if you wish to support a specific fund.
Scholarships and Fellowships
  • The Development Office works with scholarships and fellowships established by donors. See Kathy for additional information.
  • Other departmental staff to consult concerning student awards include Debbie Martindale and Gretchen Clearwater.

For more information, visit the Department of Biology Development Office web pages:

Information Technology (top)

Computing Support (JH 240)
  • Dave King, Jeremy Niemann, and Matt Kleine develop and maintain computing services for the Department of Biology.
  • Offers support and advice to all graduate students, postdocs, faculty, and staff regarding computer hardware and software purchase and use, and department and university networked resources like printers, file storage and backup solutions.
  • All labs and faculty offices have Macintosh and/or Windows computers.
  • Departmental facilities and services include scanners, color laser printing, poster printing, digital projectors, and “loaner” laptops. See Rossanne Walden in the Departmental Office for more information on equipment available for check out.
  • Visit for more information.
Web Support (JH 129)
  • The webmaster, Terri Greene, develops and maintains the departmental website, in coordination with the faculty web committee. Changes to your own faculty research web page may be submitted directly online at any time.
  • The webmaster offers basic Dreamweaver-specific and general web coding support to faculty and instructors.
  • Lab Websites: the webmaster coordinates requests for departmental accounts for lab websites. Although updating and maintaining your lab website is your responsibility, moderate assistance is available for designing and creating your lab website. For more information and resources, visit the lab websites advice page or contact the webmaster.
  • Event Calendars: Scheduling of events is coordinated through Tammi Duzan; when you submit information about scheduled events to Tammi, they will also be included on the website.
  • Departmental News: Submit news items about faculty, graduate students, postdocs and other researchers to for inclusion in the “Departmental News” area of the home page. Please refer to the news guidelines for information about solicited news items; the basic categories are federal grants and fellowships, national and University-wide awards and honors, cover and other high-profile articles, and anything for which an IU press release has been prepared.

Service Center & Purchasing Office (JH A003) (top)

  • Peggy Graves is responsible for the fiscal activities on all start-up accounts and departmental accounts, including reconciliation and answering questions.
  • Keys and proximity cards may be obtained in the Service Center for all Biology buildings except Simon Hall.
  • Kyle Byers is responsible for delivery of parcels to labs and offices.
Purchasing Overview and Reminders
  • Always go through Cathy Todd and the Service Center when you need to purchase an item. If you order something on your own, you may not be able to get reimbursed for it later, and you may not be getting the best price.
  • When faculty members are ready to begin purchasing items, they are assigned a purchasing representative. The purchasing representative submits all orders, tracks them until received, handles returns, and authorizes payment.
  • For information on purchasing requirements at IU, visit: This site includes information on how to buy goods, different resources, green purchasing, policies and procedures, and contact information.
  • Purchasing cards may be ordered through Cathy Todd with card reconciliations being done through the Service Center.
Biology Stockroom Overview
  • The Biology Stockroom carries approximately 5,000 items with no mark-up to customers. Their inventory is posted online and updated regularly.
  • The Stockroom is self-serve, and you must have a valid IU account number to make a purchase.
  • A Stockroom card with a bar code is issued for each account, and must be presented during check out.

Facilities and Laboratory Services (top)

Steve Todd, the Director, is responsible for:

  • Installation of new equipment impacting building utility systems.
  • Space renovation and moves of laboratories and offices
  • Building information, such as floor plans, scale drawings, room numbers, changing locks and re-keying rooms, and installation of new phone/data outlets.
  • Emergency / Disaster planning and preparedness.

John Heavilon, the Facilities Coordinator, is responsible for:

  • Building repairs and maintenance which require the services of the Physical Plant.
  • Problems with service or emergency custodial and building service needs.
  • Detecting potential or existing fire, accident, or other health hazards.

Aaron Fellows, is responsible for Biology Services (JH A010):

  • Moving and set-up of furniture and equipment (Jordan, Myers, and Simon Halls).
  • Teaching laboratory equipment distribution and storage.
  • Management of furniture and equipment storage.
  • Equipment salvage and surplus.
  • Set-up of tables and chairs for special events.
Facilities and Laboratory Maintenance
  • Report all routine requests for building maintenance, moving and set-ups, and custodial services to Include the building, room number, nature of the problem, contact person, phone number, and any other information needed to locate the problem.
  • The e-mail method of contact is NOT for emergency situations. Call Steve Todd or John Heavilon (7:30 AM – 4:00 PM) or the Physical Plant Control Center directly at 855-8728 if the incident occurs after hours.
Media and Glassware Facilities
  • The Media Facility area prepares media for the department’s teaching labs, prepares all chemical solutions, and distributes miscellaneous sterile items.
  • The Fourth Floor Glassware Facility personnel collect and wash all Drosophila Stock Center, teaching and research lab glassware, and redistribute and/or store it.
  • Rhonda Matteson, Pat Tinsely, and Kevin Gabbard prepare media for the Drosophilia Stock Center and the teaching and research labs. They may be contacted at
Instrumentation Center
  • Installation, repair, and maintenance of all laboratory and electronic equipment for students, faculty, and staff, including the department’s teaching laboratories, research laboratories, and shared equipment used by all Biology.
Greenhouse (JH 139)
  • Teaching: The first floor greenhouses contain a permanent collection of plants available for teaching purposes. Orders may be placed for specific plants to be grown for class use.
  • Research: Space is available for faculty and graduate student research projects. The greenhouse staff provides for the care of plants such as watering, fertilizing, and pest control based on the needs and preferences of researchers.
  • Public Service: The greenhouses on the first floor of Jordan Hall are open to the public for self-guided tours seven days a week. Group tours are available by appointment.
Animal Quarters (JH 407)
  • The Animal Quarters staff works closely with primary investigators, lab personnel, and students to ensure that their research needs are met.
  • Animal Quarters personnel are supervised by the university's Laboratory Animal Resources. Contact Operations Manager Moe Pazos for more information, including per diems, caging needs, animal space within the Animal Quarters, and other general issues regarding animal care and housing.
Biological Safety

Sally Null is the Director of Biological Safety, Office of the Vice President for Research Administration:

  • Monitors applications for use of biohazardous materials.
  • Reviews grant proposals and research protocols.
  • Assesses biological hazards and provides biosafety training.
  • Conducts safety audits and autoclave testing and validation.
  • Handles biohazard incidents and emergencies and disposal of biohazardous waste. Waste disposal can be requested online at:
  • The Biological Safety Officer should be contacted with questions concerning proper protocol, waste handling and disposal, and injuries.
  • Jeremy Hooten can also answer questions regarding deliveries of potentially hazardous materials.

Additional Faculty Benefits (top)

Injuries and Accidents (top)

Quick link to Emergency Contact list
What to do when a life threatening Injury or accident occurs:

STEP 1: Call 911 (9-911 from campus phones) to get an ambulance en route. If in doubt about the condition, still call 911! (If someone is nearby while the victim is unconscious, have them call 911 while you call for the AED at 856-1785.)

  • If the person is unconscious, call 856-1785. This is the number for the AED (Automatic External DEFIBRILLATOR) machine. AED’s are located in BOTH Jordan (adjacent to Room A003) and Myer’s Hall (Adjacent to MY 150). Defibrillators are most effective within 3 minutes of cardiac arrest so TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE. Do not use the AED unless you are trained to do so.
  • Provide 911 with the following information: (1) Building (2) Room number and/or specific location (3) Victim Name, (4) A brief description of the victim’s condition: Unconsciousness, bleeding, etc. (5) Any other information to allow help to reach the victim quickly.

STEP 2: (If you are trained in First Aid, then administer first aid steps according to your training.)

STEP 3: Ask anyone else nearby to seek help by calling:

  • Jessica Hooten (855-6284), or Rossanne Walden (855-7323) during Biology Department hours from 7:30-4:00 PM (Summer) or from 8:00-5:00PM (Fall/Spring)
  • Local and Trained First Aid Personnel (listed in the emergency contact list)
  • The employee’s supervisor.

STEP 4: Ask people to keep the area clear for trained emergency personnel to assist the victim.

NOTE: If you are alone with the victim and you are not trained and it is after hours, always call 911 before you do anything. Seek any help that you can. See emergency response numbers below.

What to do for general injuries and accidents:

1. If you have any doubt about the potential of severity of the circumstances, call 911.

2. Contact:

  • Jessica Hooten (855-6284), or Rossanne Walden (855-7323) during business hours.
  • The employee’s supervisor.

3. An injury report needs to be completed:

  • If the injury is not life-threatening, send the employee to Jordan Hall 127D to complete and submit an injury report with Jessica.
  • The injured person will be advised to seek medical attention regardless of the seriousness of the injury. If the injured person elects to disregard this advice, the injury report will indicate this.

4. An injured individual should seek treatment at the following locations:

  • The employee will be advised to seek treatment at Promptcare East / Bloomington Hospital Center for Occupational Health.
    • Location: 326 South Woodcrest Drive (across from the Sprint store on East 3rd Street)
    • Hours: 8:00 am to 8:00 pm, Monday - Saturday
    • Please enter through the I.U. Employee / Rebound entrance
  • If the injury occurs outside of Promptcare hours, the employee will be advised to seek treatment at the Bloomington Hospital Emergency Room.
    • Location: 601 West 2nd Street
  • If the employee refuses treatment at the Promptcare East / Bloomington Hospital Center for Occupational Health (during office hours) or the Bloomington Hospital Emergency Room (after hours) and prefers to go to another medical facility, the employee will be responsible for any cost resulting from treatment of the injury.
Copyright © 2017 | The Trustees of Indiana University | Copyright Complaints | Privacy Notice Intranet | Site Index | Contact Us