Biotechnology Major (B.S.)
The Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Biotechnology provides students with fundamental training in basic scientific principles as well as specific concepts, techniques, and applications used in biotechnology. Students who obtain the B.S. in Biotechnology will be prepared to: (1) obtain employment in biotechnology and related industries, including the pharmaceutical and agricultural industries; (2) enroll in graduate programs (M.S. or Ph.D.) in Biotechnology or related fields such as Molecular Biology, Microbiology, and Biochemistry; (3) pursue advanced professional degrees (M.D. (Medicine), M.B.A (Business), J.D. (Law), with emphasis on Biotechnology issues.
- Joint degree program between Biology and Chemistry Departments with participation and input from faculty in other divisions, such as the Law School.
- New Lecture (6 hours) and Laboratory Courses (4 hours) in Biotechnology emphasizing small molecules and large biomolecules.
- New course (3 hours) on Societal Issues of Biotechnology, including aspects of intellectual property taught by Law School faculty.
- Internships in industry encouraged as well as independent research experience in IUB laboratories.
- Lecture series with guest speakers discussing topics in Biotechnology and Biotechnology-related jobs in industry and academia.
- New elective courses in Biotechnology emphasizing drug discovery and development and metabolic manipulation and bioremediation that is part of the curriculum of the M.S. Biotechnology degree.
- Opportunity to continue training and obtain M.S. Degree in Biotechnology in one additional year after the B.S. Biotechnology degree.
- Learn more about the Biotechnology program »
Full requirements for the Biotechnology major are listed in the College of Arts and Sciences Bulletin. A total of 122 credit hours are required to complete the B.S. in Biotechnology. The requirements are distributed as follows in this basic model with slight variations possible depending on course selections.
General Education (29)
- Writing (6)
- Foreign Language (11)
- Mathematics Fundamental Skills (fulfilled by requirements listed below)
- Arts and Humanities (6)
- Social and Historical Studies (6)
- Natural Sciences (fulfilled by major)
- Inorganic Chemistry (10)
- Organic Chemistry (8)
- Calculus (4)
- Statistics (3)
Biotechnology and Related Fields (43)
- General Biology (3)
- Biochemistry (6)
- Molecular Biology (3)
- Microbiology (6)
- Biotechnology (13)
- Advanced Biotechnology, Biology, and/or Chemistry (12)
Electives including internships and independent research (15)
Minimum Total credit hours: 122