Skip to main content
Indiana University Bloomington
  • People

Frequently Asked Questions


Does Brazilian Studies offer an Undergraduate Minor or Certificate?

There is no formal program for a Minor or Certificate, but Brazilian Studies offers a variety of classes across multiple disciplines and can offer students comprehensive knowledge of Brazil and Brazilian issues. Please call 855-9097 or email to schedule an appointment.

Are there Overseas Studies programs associated with the Brazilian Studies Program?

Yes, there are overseas study programs in Salvador and Sao Paulo, for more information please visit the Study Abroad section of the website. You should consult with the Brazilian Studies advisor as early as possible in your planning process for overseas study.


Students intersted in pursuing graduate programs in Brazilian Studies are encouraged to apply with the Center for Latin American and Caribbean Studies or the Department of Spanish and Portuguese. More information about these programs can be found at the CLACS website or the Spanish and Portuguese website

What types of funding are available for Brazilian Studies Programs?

Brazilian Studies can help students with native or near-native language skills in Portuguese explore the possibility of instructorships with the Spanish and Portuguese Department. Availability of these positions varies from year to year.

For the 2009-2010 academic year, CLACS will also award several FLAS awards for the study of Portuguese, Quechua, Yucatec Maya, and Haitian Creole. Incoming M.A. students are eligible for these awards, and should see the FLAS section of the CLACS website for more information (CLACS Funding).

Incoming students are also encouraged to seek out external sources of funding, several of which are detailed on the website of the University Graduate School .