Secondary Education (A+S)
- EDUC–A 308 Legal Issues for Secondary Teachers (3 cr.) B-I Focuses primarily on legal concerns affecting teachers in public secondary schools. Topics addressed include tort liability, church/state relations, expression rights, children with disabilities, conditions of employment, discrimination and harassment, student testing, collective bargaining, teacher lifestyle choices, copyright concerns, teacher contracts and dismissal, record-keeping practices, and student discipline.
- EDUC–S 303 Topics in Secondary Education (0.5–3 cr.) Various topics will be covered in this course in order to incorporate timely professional issues in the secondary curriculum. May be repeated.
- EDUC–S 400 Field-Based Seminar in Teacher Education (2–4 cr.) Instructor’s permission required. Discussion of issues in secondary education and exploration of problems of the field. Students spend approximately one day each week in the schools, satisfying performance standards for teacher certification. Grade: S or F. May be repeated.
- EDUC–S 405 The Middle and Junior High School (3 cr.) Provides future middle and junior high teachers with an understanding of how early adolescent students and school structures affect curriculum, instruction, and classroom management decisions. The course meets the middle/junior high school endorsement requirement for elementary school majors.
- EDUC–S 420 Teaching and Learning in the Middle School (3 cr.) I Middle schools operate on unique philosophical and organizational foundations. This course will explore the design of middle schools and the ways teachers work to meet the needs of a diverse range of learners, including those with specific needs. Preservice teachers will develop the skills needed to provide challenging learning opportunities for young adolescent learners.
- EDUC–S 430 Teaching and Learning in the High School (3 cr.) This course for secondary teachers explores curriculum planning for conceptual learning that is developmentally appropriate for adolescents and young adults. It includes the topics of high school organization and reform, assessment, critical thinking, urban school settings, risk behaviors, identity development, and importance of the larger community context.
- EDUC–S 490 Research in Secondary Education (1–3 cr.) B-I Individual research.
for the PDF version.