About the Kelley Undergraduate Program
Minors and Certificate
Business Foundations Certificate Program
The Kelley School offers a 30 credit hour certificate program in the fundamentals of business. All courses required in the Business Foundations Certificate Program are introductory and may be applied toward a four-year degree. Students who are not pursuing four-year degrees, may also complete the Business Foundations Certificate as non-degree-seeking students.
Policies and criteria for the Business Foundations Certificate are;
- Achieve a minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA in all IU courses; if EX is used for any IU courses, the EX policy of the student’s home school will be honored in calculating the overall GPA.
- Pass all courses required for the certificate
- Achieve a 2.0 cumulative GPA all courses counting toward the BFC; if courses are retaken or extra electives are taken, the set of courses with the highest grades will be used to calculate the cumulative BFC GPA
- A maximum of two courses, counting toward the BFC, may be taken at a campus other than IU Bloomington
- All 300 and 400 level course work must be completed on the IU-Bloomington campus.
- Online or hybrid courses offered within a semester context, with homework deadlines and instructor interactions may be used. However, none of the coursework may be taken in a self-paced, independent study format.
- All exceptions should be referred to the Kelley School of Business Petitions Committee.
Requirements for the Business Foundations Certificate are:
- Successfully complete the following courses
- ECON-E 201 (3 cr.)
- ECON-E 202 (3 cr.)
- BUS-A 200 or BUS-A 201 or BUS-A 202 (3 cr.)
- BUS-F 260 (3 cr.)
- BUS-X 100 or BUS-G 100 (3 cr.)
- Successfully complete at least two elective courses:
- BUS-D 270 and X271* (3 cr. combined)
- BUS-G 300 (3 cr.)
- BUS-J 306 (3 cr.)
- BUS-K 201 with a minimum grade of C (3 cr.)**
- BUS-L 100 (3 cr.)
- BUS-L 201 (3 cr.)
- BUS-L 408 (3 cr.)
- BUS-M 300 (3 cr.)
- BUS-P 300 (3 cr.)
- BUS-R 300 (3 cr.)
- BUS-W 212 (3 cr.)
- BUS-W 300 (3 cr.)
- BUS-C 204 (3 cr.)
- BUS-C 330 (3 cr.)
- Successfully complete additional elective credits to reach a total of 30 credits. These credits may be taken from any department on the IU Bloomington campus.
In addition to satisfying course requirements, candidates for the Business Foundations Certificate must apply online at https://kelley.iu.edu/ugradapps/onlineapps/signin/2yeardeg_app.cfm.
Questions about the Business Foundations Certificate should be directed to Kelley academic advisors.
*Students may substitute any business course counting for the Global Foundations Core for X271 (e.g., A271, F271, G275, etc.).
**CSCI majors may substitute CSCI-C 211 for BUS-K 201 but if they change majors or become business majors, they must take BUS-K 201.