Undergraduate Academic Programs
Undergraduate students may earn this minor in addition to the baccalaureate degree. Students considering this minor may visit Professor Gwen Hamm for academic advising.
Director, Dance Minor
Department of Kinesiology
School of Public Health - Bloomington
1025 E. 7th St.
Bloomington, IN 47405-7109
hamm [at] indiana [dot] edu
Students who decide to pursue this minor should visit their school's academic records office to have this minor officially added to their academic objective.
This undergraduate minor program is intended for students in degree programs other than dance, who wish to add a dance specialty to their studies. This minor requires:
- successful completion of 18 credit hours prescribed below.
- a minimum cumulative minor GPA of 2.0.
- College of Arts and Sciences students completing this minor must earn a minimum grade of C- in each course used in the minor.
- College of Arts and Sciences students completing this minor must include at least 6 credits of courses at the 300/400 level.
Note: No course in this minor may be taken under the Pass/Fail Option.
Dance Minor Core Courses (6 cr.):
Complete the following course:
- HPER-D 111 Core of Dance Techniques I (3 cr.) (Fall)
- HPER-D 231 Introduction to Dance Studies (3 cr.) (Spring) +A&H
- HPER-D 332 Core of Dance Techniques I (3 cr.) (College of Arts and Sciences students must choose D 332)
Emphasis Courses (6 cr.)
Complete any 6 credit hours from one of the following emphases:
- HPER-A 387 Management of Dance Injuries (3 cr.) (P: P 205)
- HPER-D 200 Dance Elementary Education (1 cr.)
- HPER-D 351 Teaching of Modern Dance (1 cr.) (P: D 211)
- HPER-D 461 Methods of Movement Analysis (1 cr.)
- HPER-P 205 Structural Kinesiology (3 cr.) or ANAT A215 Basic Human Anatomy (5 cr.)
- HPER-P 224 Teaching Dance Activities (2 cr.)
- HPER-P 445 Special Topics in Kinesiology: Part I-Prof Study of Pilates Matwork (3 cr.)
- HPER-P 445 Special Topics in Kinesiology: Part II-Tchr Training in Pilates Matwork (3 cr.)
- HPER-P 495 Laboratory Teaching in the Physical Education Program (1 cr.)
- HPER-P 498 Required Practicum for Part II Tchr Training in Pilates Matwork (requires authorization) (1 cr.)
- AAAD-A 100 African American Dance Company (2 cr.) (By audition)
- HPER-D 102 Body Conditioning for the Dancer (1 cr.)
- HPER-D 121 Techniques of Movement Improvisation (1 cr.) (Fall)
- HPER-D 353 Musical Resources for Dance (2 cr.) (Fall)
- HPER-D 441 Dance Production I (2 cr.)
- THTR-T 300 Musical Theatre Workshop (3 cr.) or THTR-T 410 Movement for the Theatre (3 cr.) (P: T120) or any advisor approved Musical Theater Dance course
- Select 6 credit hours combined from Teaching/ Dance Science and Performance/Choreography.
Modern Technique (3 cr.)
Complete 3 credit hours of modern dance
- HPER-D 211 Advanced Modern Technique I (P: HPER-E 335, By audition only) (3 cr.)
- HPER-D 212 Advanced Modern Technique II (P: HPER-E 335, By audition only) (2-3 cr.)
- HPER-E 155 Modern Dance (1 cr.)
- HPER-E 255 Intermediate Modern Dance (1 cr.)
- HPER-E 355 Advanced Modern Dance (1 cr.)
Supporting Technique (3 cr.)
Complete 3 credit hours from the following supporting dance form courses (or choose 3 additional credit hours from "Modern Technique" above)
- AAAD-A 221 Dance in the African Diaspora (3 cr.) (Fall) or AAAD-A 399 Advanced Topics in Arts and Humanities in African American and African Diaspora Studies (Topic: Black Dance History) (3 cr.)
- HPER-E 100 Hip-Hop (1 cr.)
- HPER-E 132 Irish Dance I Beginning (1 cr.)
- HPER-E 134 Middle Eastern Dance (1 cr.)
- HPER-E 154 Beginning Tap Dance (1 cr.)
- HPER-E 156 Introduction to Jazz Dance Technique (1 cr.)
- HPER-E 232 Irish Dance I Intermediate (1 cr.)
- HPER-E 254 Intermediate Tap Dance (1 cr.)
- HPER-E 256 Intermediate Jazz Dance (1 cr.)
- HPER-E 354 Advanced Tap Dance (1 cr.)
- HPER-E 456 Advanced Jazz Dance (2 cr.)
- HPER-E 457 Jazz Dance Repertory (1 cr.)
- MUS-J 100 Ballet Elective/Secondary (2 cr.)
- MUS-J 210 Jazz Dance (1 cr.)
+ Courses followed by the A&H notation may apply to both the minor requirements and to the general education, arts and humanities requirement for bachelor's degree students.