Undergraduate Academic Programs
Undergraduate students in all schools except the College of Arts and Sciences may earn this minor in addition to the baccalaureate degree. Students considering this minor may visit Professor Carol Kennedy-Armbruster for academic advising.
Director, Fitness Instruction Minor
Department of Kinesiology
School of Public Health - Bloomington
HPER 296 D
1025 E. 7th St.
Bloomington, IN 47405-7109
cakenned [at] indiana [dot] edu
Students who decide to pursue this minor should visit their school's academic records office to have this minor officially added to their academic objective.
This undergraduate minor program is intended for students in degree programs other than the fitness specialist major, who wish to add a fitness instruction specialty to their studies. This minor requires:
- successful completion of 18 to 21 credit hours prescribed below.
- a minimum cumulative minor GPA of 2.0.
Note: No course in this minor may be taken under the Pass/Fail Option.
Fitness Instruction Minor (18-21 credits):
Required Core Courses (16-18 credits):
Complete each of the following courses:
- HPER-P 205 Structural Kinesiology (3 cr.) or ANAT-A 215 Basic Human Anatomy (5 cr.)+N&M
- HPER-P 216 Current Concepts and Applications in Physical Fitness (3 cr.)
- HPER-P 283 Group Exercise Practicum (2 cr.)
- HPER-P 409 Basic Physiology of Exercise (3 cr.) (P: HPER-P 205 or ANAT-A 215 and PHSL-P 215)
- PHSL-P 215 Basic Human Physiology (5 cr.) +N&M
Specialized Electives (2-3 credits):
Complete one of the following courses:
- HPER-C 416 Introduction to Health Counseling (3 cr.)
- HPER-P 217 Methods of Group Exercise Instruction (3 cr.)
- HPER-P 218 Methods of Personal Fitness Instruction (3 cr.)
- HPER-P 316 Theories of Advanced Conditioning (2 cr.)
- HPER-P 317 Theory and Practice of Resistance Training (2 cr.)
- HPER-P 416 Fitness Administration (3 cr.)
- HPER-P 492 Lab Assisting/Field Experience in Sport and Kinesiology (2 cr.)
Current CPR certification is required for students to sit for a national certification examination. Certification in CPR is only acceptable from the American Red Cross, the American Heart Association, or the National Safety Council.
Completion of this minor does not qualify students to sit for the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) Health Fitness Instructor Certification Examination.
+ Courses followed by the N&M notation may apply to both the minor requirements and to the general education, natural and mathematical sciences requirement for bachelor's degree students.