Undergraduate Academic Programs
Undergraduate students in all schools except the College of Arts and Sciences may earn this minor in addition to the baccalaureate degree. A student who decides to pursue this minor should visit the records office of his or her degree-granting school/unit to have this minor officially added as an academic objective. Students are responsible for checking with their degree-granting schools/units to determine whether or not this minor may be officially recorded on their transcripts.
Students considering this minor may visit Shannan Stryjewski for academic advising.
Department of Applied Health Science
School of Public Health - Bloomington
1025 E. 7th St.
Bloomington, IN 47405-7109
sstryjew [at] indiana [dot] edu
This undergraduate minor program is intended for students in degree programs who wish to add the study of human sexuality. This minor requires:
- successful completion of 15 credit hours prescribed below.
- a minimum grade of C- in each course used in the minor.
- a minimum cumulative minor GPA of 2.0.
Note: No course in this minor may be taken under the Pass/Fail Option.
Human Sexuality Core Courses: (6 cr.)
Complete each of the following courses:
- SPH-F 255 Human Sexuality (3 cr.) +S&H
- SPH-H 395 (Formerly: HPER-H 340) Practicum in College Sex Education (3 cr.)
Human Sexuality Health Courses: (3 cr.)
Complete one of the following courses:
- SPH-H 305 Women's Health (3 cr.)
- SPH-H 306 Men's Health (3 cr.)
Human Sexuality Elective Courses (6 cr.)
Complete two of the following elective courses:
- CJUS-P 412 Sex, Drugs, AIDS, and Criminal Law (3 cr.)
- CJUS-P 423 Sexuality and the Law (3 cr.)
- GNDR-G 225 Gender, Sexuality, and Popular Culture (3 cr.)
- GNDR-G 303 Knowledge and Sex (3 cr.)
- GNDR-G 310 Representation and the Body (3 cr.)
- SOC-S 321 Sexual Diversity (3 cr.)
- SOC-S 422 Constructing Sexuality (3 cr.)
- SPH-H 305 Women's Health (if not used in required courses) (3 cr.)
- SPH-H 306 Men's Health (if not used in required courses) (3 cr.)
- SPH-H 326 AIDS and Other Sexually Transmitted Diseases (3 cr.)
- Other sexuality-related course with approval of applied health science advisor (3 cr.)
+ Courses followed by the S&H notation may apply to both the minor requirements and to the general education, social and historical studies requirement for bachelor's degree students.