Undergraduate Academic Programs
Parks and Recreation Administration
Undergraduate students in all schools except the College of Arts and Sciences may earn this minor in addition to the baccalaureate degree. A student who decides to pursue this minor should visit the records office of his or her degree-granting school/unit to have this minor officially added as an academic objective. Students are responsible for checking with their degree-granting schools/units to determine whether or not this minor may be officially recorded on their transcripts.
Students considering this minor may visit Dr. Rasul Mowatt for academic advising.
Director, Parks and Recreation Administration Minor Program
Department of Recreation, Park, and Tourism Studies
School of Public Health - Bloomington
SPH 133 F
1025 E. 7th St.
Bloomington, IN 47405-7109
ramowatt [at] indiana [dot] edu
This undergraduate minor program is intended for students who wish to add a parks and recreation administration specialty to their studies. This minor requires:
- successful completion of 15 credit hours prescribed below.
- a minimum cumulative minor GPA of 2.0.
Note: No course in this minor may be taken under the Pass/Fail Option.
Parks and Recreation Administration Core Courses (9 cr.):
Complete each of the following courses:
- SPH-R 110 Foundations of Recreation and Leisure (3 cr.) +S&H
- SPH-R 220 Foundations of Public, Nonprofit, and Community Recreation (3 cr.)
- SPH-R 425 Strategic Planning for Recreation Organizations (3 cr.)
Parks and Recreation Administration Elective Courses (6 cr.):
Complete two of the following courses:
- SPH-O 210 Introduction to Outdoor Recreation, Parks, and Human Ecology (3 cr.)
- SPH-R 101 Introduction to Resource Development and Fundraising (3 cr.)
- SPH-R 210 Inclusion in Recreation, Parks, and Tourism (3 cr.)
- SPH-R 221 Recreation Facilities Management (3 cr.)
- SPH-R 230 Recreational Sport Programming (3 cr.)
- SPH-R 311 Management in Recreation, Parks, and Tourism (3 cr.)
- SPH-R 315 Leadership Strategies and Diversity Applications (3 cr.)
- SPH-R 413 Fiscal Management of Leisure Services Organizations (3 cr.)
- SPH-R 414 Legal Aspects of Recreation (3 cr.)
+ Courses followed by the S&H notation may apply to both the minor requirements and to the general education, social and historical studies requirement for bachelor's degree students.