Undergraduate Academic Programs
Recreational Sport Management
Undergraduate students in all schools except the College of Arts and Sciences may earn this minor in addition to the baccalaureate degree. A student who decides to pursue this minor should visit the records office of his or her degree-granting school/unit to have this minor officially added as an academic objective. Students are responsible for checking with their degree-granting schools/units to determine whether or not this minor may be officially recorded on their transcripts.
Students considering this minor may visit Dr. Craig Ross for academic advising.
Director, Recreational Sport Management Minor Program
Department of Recreation, Park, and Tourism Studies
School of Public Health - Bloomington
1025 E. 7th St.
Bloomington, IN 47405-7109
cmross [at] indiana [dot] edu
This undergraduate minor program is intended for students in degree programs outside the recreational sport management major, who wish to add a recreational sport management specialty to their studies. This minor requires:
- successful completion of 15 credit hours prescribed below.
- a minimum cumulative minor GPA of 2.0.
Note: No course in this minor may be taken under the Pass/Fail Option.
Recreational Sport Management Courses (9 credits)
Complete each of the following courses:
- SPH-R 110 Foundations of Recreation and Leisure (3 cr.) +S&H
- SPH-R 230 Recreational Sport Programming (3 cr.) or SPH-K 206 Recreational Sport Programming (3 cr.)
- SPH-R 426 Youth Sport Management (3 cr.)
Recreational Sport Management Electives (6 credits)*
Complete two courses from the following list:
- SPH-K 398 Adapted Physical Education (3 cr.)#
- SPH-R 221 Recreation Facilities Management (3 cr.)#
- SPH-R 321 Aquatics Management (3 cr.)#
- SPH-R 335 Sport and Violence: Influences and Issues (3 cr.)#
- SPH R 381 Leisure and Aging (3 cr.)#
- SPH-R 426 Human Resource Management in Leisure Services (3 cr.)
- SPH R 434 Legal Issues in Sport Settings (3 cr.)#
- SPH T 410 Event Planning and Program Development (3 cr.)
+ Courses followed by the S&H notation may apply to both the minor requirements and to the general education, social and historical studies requirement for bachelor's degree students.
* Students majoring in Tourism, Hospitality, and Event Management must take at least one recreational sport management elective course which is not required for that major. Courses which are not required by the Tourism, Hospitality, and Event Management major are marked with a #.