Help My Student
When we work with students on career issues, they often mention how much their parents influence their choices. At the same time, parents wonder how much advice to provide their student. These pages will help answer questions you may have about your role in your student’s career planning.
There are many ways you can help your student and the IU campus:
- Support: Your student will make the ultimate decision about his or her major and career, but you can provide support and encouragement during the process.
- Plan: Some students fear career planning because they feel it will lock them into a lifelong career. You can discuss how developing a four-year career plan actually offers students more time to explore their options.
- Refer to us: It may be helpful to remind your student that we are here to help him or her make these important decisions. We offer access to career advising, career development courses, and a job and internship website available to IU students only.
- Partner with us: Parents are an excellent source for providing internships, informational interviews, and permanent employment opportunities for IU students.
- Locate resources: As you go through this process with your student, you may feel the need for more information on specific careers or opportunities for exploration through the Career Development Center.
We welcome parents to review the Frequently Asked Questions, career planner, and other information provided here. Use the links at left to get started!