Information for Educators
Since 1982, Indiana University Bloomington Career Development Center and Arts & Sciences Career Services has been writing and publishing college-level textbooks to meet our criteria for quality career development resources. One is designed for exploratory students and the other covers job and internship search strategies. Both are excellent texts for use in the classroom setting or career library.
Ready or Not: Beginning Your Career Journey
Ready or Not: Beginning Your Career Journey offers a unique focus on the consistent and intentional integration of the Personal Career Profile into the career research and decision-making process. As such, the book includes five self-exploration chapters (values, skills, interests, personality and a synthesis chapter), chapters on exploring majors and careers, and comprehensive strategies for decision-making, goal-setting, and making oneself marketable. The book includes activities at the end of nearly every chapter. Click here for an excerpt (pdf, 59KB) from the book.
Table of Contents:
- Setting the Stage
- Making the Connections
- Exploring and Choosing Majors
- Discovering Your Career Options
- Making Decisions
- Setting Goals
- Make Yourself Marketable
- 11 chapters plus introduction
- 163 pages, 6.75" x 8.25"
- Includes a variety of graphs and tables in each of the content areas
Ready or Not: The Art and Science of the Job Search
Ready or Not: The Art & Science of the Job Search, published in 2009, represents a paradigm of job searching that emphasizes research and highly customized, focused application materials. Designed for use in job-search strategies courses, and particularly those that emphasize strategies for liberal arts students, the text covers the gamut of issues related to the job search. It also includes an appendix with activities and practice exercises for each chapter. Click here for an excerpt (pdf, 85KB) from the book.
Table of contents:
- You (self-research)
- Researching Careers
- Finding a Job or Internship
- Cover Letters and Other Correspondence
- The Business of Money (budgeting and negotiation)
- Transitioning from College to Work
- Eight chapters plus introduction and appendix
- 198 pages, 6.75" x 8.25"
- Includes a variety of sample resumes and correspondence with commentary
To place a textbook order, or to purchase a copy for review, please contact Andrea Bock at the Indiana University Bookstore via phone at (812) 855-9629 or email at tm632bncollege.com. You will need to provide the following information:
- ISBN and title of book (see below)
- Number of copies to be ordered
- Payment method
- Ready or Not: Beginning Your Career Journey (ISBN #978-0-615-37367-6)
- Ready or Not: The Art and Science of the Job Search (ISBN #0-615-30284-X)
Please direct any questions to Katie Lloyd, Associate Director for Student Services.