A carefully chosen part-time job, whether a work-study or non-work-study position, gives you more than money. Part-time work is a superb introduction to a career field you're considering.
Here's an example: You would like some extra money. You also think you'd eventually like to apply to law school but aren't completely sure. So instead of taking the first job that comes your way, you intentionally seek a part-time position in the legal field. You might work as a receptionist or file clerk in a law firm. Not only would you make money, but the experience would give you insight into the field and influential professional contacts. Such a part-time job would also impress law schools. You would have a proven interest in the law and knowledge of what working as an attorney is like.
Work-study vs. non-work-study positions
Work-study is a form of financial aid that undergraduate students apply for through the Office of Student Financial Assistance; students are awarded work-study status based on financial need. Work-study jobs and non-work-study jobs are basically the same as far as the job description and rate of pay. The difference is to the advantage of the employer. An employer is only responsible for 25% of a work-study student's wages; the federal government pays the remaining 75%. However, only not-for-profit businesses qualify to hire work-study employees. Students who have been awarded work-study are very marketable because employers can hire three work-study students for the same cost as one hourly, non-work-study student.
Since work-study is a federally sponsored program, international students are not eligible. However, immigrants who are permanent residents of the United States are eligible to apply.
Non-work-study refers to hourly employment or any part-time job that is not subsidized by the Federal Work-Study Program. Many students who do not receive the work-study award automatically think there are no jobs available for them on campus. There are, in fact, more non-work-study students working on campus than work-study students. Hourly jobs are found on and off campus and include clerical workers, store clerks, recreational facilities employees, and lab assistants.
Finding part-time jobs
To find part-time jobs related to your career interests, check out myIUcareers. On myIUcareers you will find listings of both on-campus and Bloomington-area work-study and non-work-study positions. Students who have been awarded work-study might also review a list of local community service organizations who offer off-campus work-study opportunities. Professors and academic advisors often have suggestions of where to find opportunities as well.