Background Check Charges - BC*
*BC - Budgect Construction
Activity: Background Check Charges - BC Financial Policy: N/A Related Policies: N/A Additional Forms: N/A
Things to Know:
- Indiana University requires background checks for all new Staff employees, new Hourly employees as described below, and new Academic employees based on the specific policy of each campus, verifying prior employment, relevant education, relevant licenses, criminal history, sex & violent offender history.
- All of these background checks are required for new Staff employees. Criminal and sex and violent offender history checks are required for new Hourly employees with the following work assignments: a) employment in a PERF covered position, b) work that involves handling financial, student or personnel data or records, c) work that involves any confidential or sensitive data or information, d) work that involves handling cash, checks, or credit card transactions, e) work that involves responsibility for or providing services to any one under the age of 18, f) work that involves possessing keys/codes or other means of entry to living spaces within university provided housing, e.g. dormitory rooms, hotel rooms, or apartments, and g) work that provides access to a select agent or toxin as defined by the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) or which will load, unload, prepare for transport, transport, or offer for transportation any quantity of radioactive materials or a quantity of hazardous material that requires placards.
- New Hourly employees with an assignment that requires a license will also need to have a background check completed.
- The personnel policy for Staff and Hourly employees can be found at: http://www.indiana.edu/%7euhrs/policies/uwide/bkg_check.html
- Indiana University has contracted with HireRight, a third party, to conduct all of the criminal history and sex & violent offender history checks. The cost is $35.50 (plus any applicable court fees) for the standard version of these checks which searches the county court records of all previous places of residence. For individuals under the age of 22, a hiring department may order a limited check for $20.50 (plus any applicable court fees) which checks only the one place of residence that the hiring department designates.
- Court Fees - Some 400 out of 3,000 county governments in the United States charge a fee to access their court records. Four of Indiana’s counties charge fees: Clark $5, Cass $7, Lake $7, and Marion $2. Nationally, charges average $7 and go as high as $52 in some New York counties.
- HireRight will conduct the other required background checks if a hiring department wishes. The charge to the hiring department depends on the type of check requested. An "a la carte" price list for IU can be found on the HireRight website: http://www.hireright.com which is password protected and for which all authorized users at Indiana University have an assigned password.
- Larger units should take these expenses into consideration in formulating their budgets.
- For detail information on procedures for conducting background checks on the Bloomington Campus prefer refer to this web site: http://hr.iu.edu/employment/bloomington/bkg_proc.html#process
- For more information please contact Mo Smith, email: firstname.lastname@example.org