Background Check Charges - BC*
*BC - Budget Construction
Activity: Background Check Charges - BC Financial Policy: N/A Related Policies: Background Checks, HR-02-10 - University Human Resources Policy for ALL Staff and Temporary Employees
Programs Involving Children, PS-01 - Administration & Operations Policy
Additional Forms: Background Check Consent Form
Things to Know:
Since July 1, 2004 a mandatory background check has been required for all new hires. Please see the University Human Resources Background Check policy above. The policy covers background checks to verify prior employment, relevant education and licenses, and criminal, sex, and violent offender history.
Notes: (added 12/6/2017)
- Foreign nationals who have not lived in the United States for over a year are not required to have a criminal background check.
- Criminal background checks are required for former employees who are rehired after a break in service if their last IU background check was completed over a year before rehiring.
The Program Involving Children policy was established in April 2012 and since then a mandatory background check has been required for any faculty and academic staff, staff, temporary employees, students, volunteers or other personnel who will work with children. Please see the Program Involving Children policy above. Background Checks must have been done within the last five years, and must be repeated at least every five years thereafter.
Employment Eligibility Verification (EEV) - Form I-9, E-Verify, and Criminal Background Check required for all new hires.
- Departments are charged for Background Checks:
- Form I-9, E-Verify, and Criminal Background Check for IU employees must be completed utilizing the web-based enterprise system.
- The new vendor of the enterprise system for Background Checks, Form I-9s, and E-verify is General Information Services, Inc. (GIS). The GIS system went live on Monday, February 17th, 2014.
- The cost of the EEV process which includes Form I-9s and E-Verify checks is included in the criminal background check charge. There is no separate charge for the EEV process.
- The current base cost with GIS is $20.00. The actual cost to the department may be higher due to additional charges, such as ordering an education report, court fees, state required notifications, etc.
- Larger units should take this into consideration when formulating their budgets. The criminal background check includes a criminal history and Sex & Violent Offender registry checks.
- Additional information regarding the EEV process for criminal background checks and the Form I-9/E-Verify process can be found on the UHRS website at: http://hr.iu.edu/eev/index.html
- For detailed information on procedures for conducting Criminal Background Checks and access to the GIS vendor website on the Bloomington Campus please refer to the Background Check process link.
Court Fees - Some 400 out of 3,000 county governments in the United States charge a fee to access their court records. Fees start at $1 and go as high as $65 in some New York counties.
Again, criminal and Sex & Violent Offender history check are required for all new Staff and temporary employees regardless of what duties and responsibilities they are hired and assigned to perform.
For questions regarding the GIS system, please contact Scott Shimoda at email@example.com
For questions regarding the Background Check billing, please contact Christie LeMaster at firstname.lastname@example.org
For questions regarding the Background Check policy, please contact askHR@iu.edu
For questions regarding the Programs Involving Children policy, please contact email@example.com