Background Check Charges - BC*
*BC - Budgect Construction
Activity: Background Check Charges - BC Financial Policy: N/A Related Policies: Background Checks - University Human Resources Policy for ALL Staff and Temporary Employees
Programs Involving Children, PS-01 - Administration & Operations Policy
Additional Forms: Background Check Consent Form
Things to Know:
- Since July 1, 2004 a mandatory background check has been required for all new hires. Please see the University Human Resources Background Check policy above. The policy covers background checks to verify prior employment, relevant education and licenses, and criminal, sex, and violent offender history.
- Since April 2012 a mandatory background check has been required for any faculty and academic staff, staff, temporary employees, students, volunteers or other personnel who will work with children. Please see the Program Involving Children policy above. Background checks must have been done within the last five years, and must be repeated at least every five years thereafter.
- Indiana University has contracted with HireRight, a third party, to conduct background checks:
- provides information on individual’s criminal history as well as sex & violent offender history checks
- $32.00 standard charge for departments (plus any applicable court fees) which searches the county court records of all previous places of residence
- the amount charged to the hiring department depends on the type of check required
- larger units should take this into consideration when formulating their budgets
- Court Fees - Some 400 out of 3,000 county governments in the United States charge a fee to access their court records. Four of Indiana’s counties charge fees: Clark $5, Cass $7, Lake $7, and Marion $2. Nationally, charges average $7 and go as high as $52 in some New York counties.
- Again, criminal and Sex & Violent Offender history check are required for all new Staff and temporary employees regardless of what duties and responsibilities they are hired and assigned to perform. See the University Human Resources web site for procedural information.
- Additional information regarding background checks and the E-Verify process can be found on the Background Check Resource page and on the Employment Eligibility Verification page.
- In addition to the above, note the new policy effective April 30, 2012 pertaining to any employees working in programs which involve children.
- For detail information on procedures for conducting criminal background checks on the Bloomington Campus please refer to the Employment Criminal Background Check Process link.
For questions regarding the HireRight system, please contact Scott Shimoda at email@example.com
For questions regarding the background check billing, please contact Christie LeMaster at firstname.lastname@example.org
For questions regarding the background check policy, please contact Rob Springston at email@example.com
For questions regarding the Programs Involving Children policy, please contact Nick DauSchmidt at firstname.lastname@example.org