Things to Know:
- Separate additional pays may be issued for the establishment of the personal plan and the purchase of the original cellular access device. Subsequent purchases of devices can occur every 24 months.
- Payments may be in the range of $15 - $150 per month, and may be set up to cover a specific period of time.
- Earnings code on Additional Pay EDoc is ALW (allowance) and reason code is Dig Comm (digital communications).
- Employees may have multiple devices, however, the amount may not exceed the maximum monthly amount.
- Since additional pay is taxed at the employee’s usual rate, the total amount paid may include an additional amount to compensate the employee for the taxes taken out of the pay, as long as the gross amount does not exceed the policy’s range limit.
- Department has the choice whether to reimburse its employees for the taxes on this additional pay, and will have to determine the amount and communicate that to the employee. Whatever process the department chooses to use, it needs to be consistent in using that method for all employees.
- Retired employees under the 18/20 will not be eligible for this arrangement because of the additional pay feature.
- If a decision is made that a current plan is not sufficient to perform university business, it is the unit’s decision to upgrade but should be done only once.
- Shared devices are not covered by this policy and may be obtained through Communication Services.
- IU Foundation accounts may not be used to pay for cellular or other electronic devices.
- No retired employee is eligible.