Moving Expenses Reimbursement

Activity: Moving Expenses Reimbursement
Financial Policy: FIN-ACC-I-310, Moving Expenses
Related Policies:

FIN-ACC-I-30, Fiscal Misconduct
IRS 521:

Additional Forms: Requesting a Quote from a Moving Company
Disbursement Voucher document located in KFS.
Additional Pay Edocs are found in Onestart under the HRMS Production tab.
See Purchasing website Relocation information.

Things to Know:

  • Certain expenses incurred in moving the household goods and personal effects for a new, full-time faculty or staff member who has accepted a position with Indiana University may be paid directly to vendors by the university ,or reimbursed to the individual, on a non-taxable basis.
  • Certain expenses cannot be made as nontaxable payments or reimbursements of moving expenses under either IRS or State Budget Agency guidelines, but will be treated as taxable compensation to the employee and must be paid outside the scope of the Moving Expense Policy, by utilizing the Supplemental Payroll Voucher process. See Moving Expenses Financial Policy, FIN-ACC-I-310.
  • The total of payments or reimbursements that may be made to an individual with university funding, including travel expenses, is at the discretion of the campus chancellor or appropriate vice president, but is limited to no more than 10,000.
  • Moving Expense Authorization Form mentioned in Financial Policy FIN-ACC-I-310 is for IUPUI only, not for IUB.
  • How do I move households or offices? Info located at
  • Object code for moving expense is 5070.
  • See IRS 521 for tax clarification such as 30 days in transit storage allowed as not taxable; over 30 days is taxable.
  • Temporary housing reimbursement is taxable.
  • House hunting trip reimbursement is taxable.
  • Mileage rate is determined by IRS Guidelines.
  • Email with any tax questions.

CATS Presentation related to this activity: