Things to Know:
- If you are hiring someone that is already working at IU in another department, it is not necessary to collect new tax forms. Each year we receive multiple forms for the same employee as they are hired by different departments. Of course, they may complete forms at any time to change their tax status. Employees may update federal tax information using the Employee Self Service tab on the OneStart screen.
- Current employees do not need to complete new direct deposit authorizations if they have already completed that process and have no changes to their information. If they have completed forms in any department, it will apply to all wages the employee receives. Employees should complete new forms if their banking information has changed over the summer. Employees may also sign up or make changes to direct deposit on-line using the Employee Self Service tab on the OneStart screen.
- See Direct Deposit Instructions
- See Paper Direct Deposit form
- Please encourage employees to sign up for direct deposit immediately. If they do not have their banking information when completing hire paperwork, be sure to have them complete the Paycard application. If they do not sign up for direct deposit, after 2 paychecks we will issue the paycard.
- Paper checks are mailed to the Employee Home address. Please inform your new employees about this process. Many times students have an out-of-state address on their record. Students can update their home address en Employee Self Service Tab on Onestart.
It would save payroll considerable time and speed up the data entry process if you could do the following:
- On the W-4 federal withholding form, we only need the actual form at the bottom. Please trim off the top instruction/worksheet portion and staple both the federal and state (WH-4) forms together. Be sure to use the correct federal forms and pay attention to the year required. You should destroy any old forms you have in your office. New forms can be ordered on-line or single forms can be printed on the Tax Forms page of te FMS web site.
- Tax forms require the social security number. If you know the employee ID, please write it on one of the tax forms along a blank edge. Please handle these forms in a confidential manner.
- Tax forms must be complete including the SSN, signature, and date before they can be entered. Please be sure they are complete before sending them to our office. If the marital status is not completed, the form will be entered at the “single” rate.
Important Payday Information
Link for Reporting Issues - FMS Support
Please contact your Payroll Processor if you have any questions or suggestions. You are the experts at collecting this information.