Things to Know:
- Must be consistent with the mission of the university and the mission of the specific organization.
- Applies to internal and external sales activities.
- Definition of revenue producing activities (RPA) – Revenue is generated from sale of products and/or services provided by the university or university employees.
- Excludes all sponsored programs.
- External sales – An exchange by the university of tangible or intangible products and/or services with external customers for monetary consideration. Does not pay for the goods or services from an IU account.
- Sales revenue may exceed expenses. Excludes – technology transfer, license and trademark agreements.
- Internal sales – The sale of goods or services by one university department to another department within the university and to sales within a department. Limited to break-even basis. Transactions use an
- Internal/Service Billing or batch process.
- Must be approved by campus business officer.
- Revenues produced must remain in university accounts and use appropriate object codes.
- Governed by Indiana State Law and university Conflict of Interest Policy.
BL - Rozzie Gerstman 855-1123
UA - Joan Hagen 856-2548
a. Schedule a preliminary review meeting/discussion with the campus business officer before commencing with the following steps in establishing an RPA account;
b. Complete an RPA Questionnaire;
c. Create a business plan;
d. If a recharge center, prepare a schedule of rate calculations for the operation;
e. Submit the questionnaire, business plan, completed Conflict of Interest Disclosure Statement, if applicable, and any supporting paperwork to the campus business officer for approval.
- Additional cross references:
Program Income on Sponsored Programs, SPA-11-011
Internal Billings to Sponsored Projects Notice 003
IU Copyright Center
CATS Presentation related to this activity: NEW Online RPAQ System
Training: Revenue Producing Training