Staff :: Amber Kennedy Kent, MA
Language Pedagogist/CALL Specialist, Center for Languages of the Central Asian Region (CeLCAR)
-Grad Cert. Instructional Systems Technology, Indiana University, In progress
-M.A. Computational Linguistics, Indiana University, 2005
-M.A. TESOL & Applied Linguistics, Indiana University, 2005
-B.A. English, Old Dominion University, 2001
- Research Interests:
- Instructional design and the use of technology in teaching and training.
- Teaching Experience:
- Taught ESL at the Graduate, Undergraduate, and K-12 levels.
- Hold an Indiana State Teacher's License with endorsement in ESL PreK-12 and Language Arts 5-12
- Publication and Presentation Highlights:
- (Accepted) Just How Authentic Does It Have to Be. 2013 National Council of Less Commonly Taught Languages Conference (NCOLCTL), Chicago, IL, April 25-28, 2013.
- Presented. Designing Interactive Webquests for the Language Classroom. 2008 OFLA Conference, Cincinnati, OH, April 3-5, 2008
- Presented. Designing Pedagogically Effective Interactive Webquests for the Language Classroom. 2008 MWALLT Conference, Cleveland, OH, October 17-18, 2008.
- Active Learning, Engaged Students: Confessions from a Faculty Learning Community and Webquest Design 101: Interactive Webquests for the Language Classroom. 2009 SEED Conference, Findlay, OH, May 7-8, 2008.
Amber is a Virginia Beach native. She holds a BA in English from Old Dominion University and MAs in TESOL & Applied Linguistics and Computational Linguistics from IU. She has studied French and Spanish, and has taught ESL at the graduate, undergraduate, and K-7 levels. Before coming to CeLCAR, she spent three years as the Director of the Language Learning Center at Bowling Green State University.
As the Language Pedagogist and CALL Specialist for CeLCAR, Amber works with the resident language specialists to develop pedagogically effective language learning materials, collaborates with faculty to create teaching and proficiency guidelines, and designs and leads workshops on best practice teaching methodologies and resource creation.