Adjunct Assistant Professor, Central Eurasian Studies
Senior Fellow, Center for the Study of the Middle East
Office: School of Global and International Studies 3008
Phone: (812) 856-9813
PhD in Comparative Literature (Arabic and Persian), Damascus University, Department of Arabic Language and Literature (2011)
MA in Comparative Literature (Arabic and Persian), Tarbiat Modarres University, Tehran (2006)
BA in Arabic Language and Literature, Razi University, Kermanshah (2003)
Adjunct Assistant Professor, Department of Central Eurasian Studies (CEUS); Senior Fellow, Center for the Study of the Middle East (CSME), IUB, (2015 – present.)
Visiting Assistant Professor, Center for the Study of the Middle East (CSME), IUB, (2014-2015.)
Assistant Professor (tenure track), Department of Near Eastern Languages and Cultures, Department of Kurdish Language and Culture, Mardin Artuklu University, Turkey, (2011- 2014 .)
Lecturer, Department of Persian Language and Literature, Department of Arabic Language and Literature, Damascus University, Syria, (2007-2011.)
Lecturer, Department of Persian Language and Literature, Department of Arabic Language and Literature, Al-Baath University, Homṣ, Syria, (2007-2009.)
Teaching and Research InterestsKurdish, Persian and Arabic languages and literatures, comparative literature (Persian, Arabic, and Kurdish), Middle Eastern literatures in translation, Middle Eastern cinema, Islamic Studies (with a focus on Yarsanism, the Yezidis/Izadis, and Alevism), Islamic/ate literary genres, East-West cultural encounter
Courses Recently Taught
- Introductory, Intermediate and Advanced Kurdish
- Kurdish (native in Sorani dialect, near-native in Northern dialect (Kurmanji) and Southern dialect
- Persian (native)
- Arabic (near-native in Classical and Modern Standard Arabic (fuṣḥā’) and colloquial Levantine Arabic)
- Turkish (advanced in Ottoman Turkish and Modern Turkish)
- Azeri (advanced)
FieldworkIran, Syria, Lebanon, Kurdistan, Turkey, Morocco, Germany, Scotland, U.S.
It is Only Sound that Remains: The Life and Legacy of Forough Farrokhzad with translation of two collections of her poetry (“Another Birth” and “Let Us Believe in the Beginning of the Cold Season”), Salahaddin University Press, 2016.
Comparative Literature in Iran and the Arab World, 1903-2012, (1st edition: Samt Press, Tehran 2013; 2nd edition: Egyptian Cultural Academy, Cairo 2017.)
- “From the Past to the Future, East to the West: Yousef Bakkar and
Comparative Literature” in Malʼā al-Sanābil: Dirāsāt Muhdāt ʼilā Yusef Bakkar,
ed. cAbbās cAbdulḥalīm cAbbās, Beirut, Dār Ṣādīr. Pp. 411 – 426. 2014.
- “Theory, Time and Space in Comparative Literature in Iran”, IV. International Congress of Comparative Literature. Kirikkale University Press, Turkey. Group
of Essays. Pp. 321 – 338. 2013.
- “Comparative Investigations between Persian and Arabic: Past, Present and Future”, National Congress of Persian-Arabic Comparative Literature, (Razi University, Kermanshah & Iranian Association of Arabic Language and
Literature in Tarbiat Modarress University) Press, 2012.
- “The Image of Jerusalem in Persian Literature” in Jerusalem in Iranian Culture, Damascus, Ministry of Culture, Syrian Public Organization for Books,
pp. 27 – 66, 2009.
- “Arabic Comparative Literature: Intersections with West Asian Literature”, Alif: Journal of Comparative Poetics; (New paradigms in the study of Middle Eastern Literatures), American University in Cairo, No 35, pp. 40 – 67, 2015.
- Has been translated into Persian under the title:
- “ادبیات تطبیقی عربی وارتباط آن با حوزه ی ادبیات در غرب آسیا ”
- Has been translated into Kurdish under the title:
- “ئەدەبی بەراوردکاری عەرەبی و پەیوەندی بە کایەی ئەدەبی لە رۆژاوای ئاسیادا “
- “From Macarrat al-Nucmān to Shīrāz: ‘Abu al-cAlā’ al-Macarrī influence in Fereydūn Tavallalī”, The Journal of Critical & Comparative Literature, Razi University, Kermanshah, 4/16, 1393. Pp.63-84, 2015.
- “Standing on the Border: Comparative Literature in Turkey”, The Journal of Adabyat-e Tatbiqi (Comparative Literature), Journal of the Academy of Persian Language and Literature, Vol. 5, No. 1, Spring & Summer, Tehran, p.p 89-106, 2014.
- “Grim Legacy: Image of Kurds in Turkish Culture”, “NuBihar Akademi”, (International Peer-reviewed Journal of Kurdish Studies), Vol. 1, No. 1. Spring, Istanbul, pp. 58 – 68, 2014.
- “A Theoretical Bibliography of Comparative Literature in Iran and The Arab World from the Beginning to 2012”, The Journal of Adabyat-e Tatbiqi (Comparative Literature), Journal of the Academy of Persian Language and Literature, Vol. 3, No. 2, Fall & Winter, Tehran, pp. 147 – 178, 2013.
- “Comparative Investigations between Persian and Arabic: Past, Present and Future”, The Journal of Critical & Comparative Literature, Razi University, Kermanshah, 1/2 1391. Pp.1-41, 2012.
- “The Image of Damascus in the Poetry of Jalāl al-Dīn al-Rūmī”, The Journal of “al-Turath al-cArabi”, Arab Writers Union, Damascus, 123/ 124. pp. 259 – 247, 2012.
- “The Image of Arabs in Persian School Books” The Journal of “Mukaddime”, Mardin Artuklu University, Turkey. 4. pp. 81-110, 2011.
- “The Influence of Russian Formalism in Comparative Literature”, The Journal of the Iranian Association of Arabic Language and Literature, Tarbiat Modarress University Press, Tehran, 10 (3). pp.19-37, 2009.
- “Persian Language and Major Advocates for Islamic Unity”, Cultural and Artistic Specialized Journal of Introducing Syria, Iranian Cultural Center, Damascus, 12 (3), 2009.
- “Comparative Literature in Syria”, Cultural and Artistic Specialized Journal of Introducing Syria, Iranian Cultural Center, Damascus, 10( 3 ). Pp. 20 – 31, 2008.
- “Narcissism in the Poetry of cOmar Ibn ’Abi Rabīcah”, written in collaboration with Professor Hamed Sedghi and Malek Pīrzādnyā, Āfāq al-Ḥaḍarah al-Islāmyyah, Institute for Humanities and Cultural Studies, Tehran. 22, 387-414, 2008.
Current Research Projects
- Sorani Kurdish: An Elementary Textbook
- Kafka’s Message by Sadiq Hedayat, Translated and with an Introduction and Notes
Selected Awards, Grants, Fellowships
- Teaching Grant, IU Summer Language Workshop (SWSEEL), Lecturing in Kurdish Language, June 5 – July 28, Indiana University, Bloomington, 2017.
- Teaching Grant, IU Summer Language Workshop (SWSEEL), Lecturing in Kurdish Language, June 8 – July 31, Indiana University, Bloomington, 2016.
- Teaching Grant, IU Summer Language Workshop (SWSEEL), Lecturing in Kurdish Language, June 6 – July 31, Indiana University, Bloomington, 2015.
- Scientific Research Projects Funding, Bilimsel Araştırma Projeleri, for my project on Comparative Literature in Iran and the Arab World 1903 – 2012, Mardin Artuklu University, Turkey, 2011 – 2013. (YTL 18,800 = $12,000.)
- Full tuition scholarship, Syrian Ministry of Higher Education; Ph.D. studies in Arabic Language and Literature (Comparative Literature: Arabic and Persian) at Damascus University, 2007-2011.
- Teaching Grant, Damascus University, Lecturing in Persian Language and Literature, 2007-2011.
- Teaching Grant, Al-Baath University, Ḥomṣ, Lecturing in Persian Language and Literature, 2007-2009.
Media, Web and Public Engagement
- “From Obama to Trump: U.S. Presidents and the Kurdish Rhetoric”, The Kurdish Project, April 4, 2017.
- “Many birds, One Stone: Why Did Iran Execute 25 Sunni Kurds in August 2016?” openDemocracy, 21 February, 2017.
- Project Spotlight: Dr. Khezri, by Jaime Bue, for Inner Asian & Uralic National Resource Center, April 2016.
- “‘Deep’ Structure: Learning Sorani Kurdish at SWSEEL”, by Diana P. Hatchett, 2015.
Follow Haidar Khezri on Twitter @HaidarCKhezri