This class offers an introduction to basic communication skills in Kazakh. During the course students become familiar with the sounds, alphabet, and basic grammar of the language. Upon finishing the course, learners will be able to use Kazakh in basic, immediate communicative contexts. Readings, class discussions, listening activities are adopted from Kazakh language media programs. Films and extra-curricular cultural activities help learners to develop an awareness of the Kazakh culture.
Required Textbooks and Class Materials
- Karl A.Krippes Kazak (Gazag)-English dictionary
Suggested texts and materials
- Kanat Ibragimov, Kazakh tili, 2004
- Iraida Kubayeva, Kazakh language Made Easy Alamaty 2003
- Kulpash Sariyeva, We speak Kazakh,
- Intensive course of Kazakh language 2003
- Sukhbat, Kazakh in dialogues
- Ablakhat Ibragimov, CD Beginning Kazakh. The University of Arizona
- Daily homework, weekly quizzes and tests, midterm exam, final exam.
- Calls attendance and active participation are also part of the final grade.