This class offers basic communication skills in Kazakh and the familiarize you with the basic grammar of the language. You will learn to speak, and comprehend simple to moderately complex sentences. Through readings, class conversations, listening to Kazakh language media programs, film viewing, and cultural activities, you will also develop an awareness of the Kazakh culture.
Because of the lack of the text books, I am planning to use teaching materials from different sources. Students will be given hand outs and copies.
In the Introductory Kazakh Course we will be learning the following grammatical forms.
- 1. Present tense forms of the verbs: simple and continuous, functions
- 2. Simple Past tense of the verbs
- 3. Simple Future tenses
- 4. Adjectives: comparative adjective, superlative adjective
- 5. Modal verbs: obligations, physical possibilities, permission,
In addition, we will study the following topics and their related vocabulary:
- 1. Shopping: buying and selling, food, restaurants, dresses
- 2. Animals: domestic and wild, birds
- 3. Nature: description of landscape, trees, flowers
- 4. Transport and traveling: accommodations, time, schedule, arrangements.
- 5. Entertainment: culture, movie culture, music, sports
- 6. Traditions and customs: national holidays, games and religion
- 7. People description: appearance and character
Textbooks and Class Materials
The final grade is determined by fulfilling the following requirements.