- Central Eurasian Studies >> Courses >> Course List
- Intermediate Kazakh I
- Catalog Number CEUS-U 276/676
- Fatima Moldashova
The intermediate course covers the skills of
speaking, reading, writing and listening. The primary goal of the course is to
teach students to use Kazakh Language for everyday situations and purposes
related to work and social life. Lessons are in Kazakh only, except some
grammar analogues. The course is based on the components:
- Grammar structures (GS):
the new grammar of each lesson is presented in tables. Grammar structures are
followed by examples practicing common expressions in everyday situations.
Some grammar structures are given short English analogue to ease comprehension
of the use.
Grammar: modal verbs, past tense types, adjectives and types of
adjectives, cases (accusative, locative, genitive), compound verbs and their
functions or they are as perfect tense,
- Small texts, following GS are chosen according
grammar. Texts contain real-life information about Kazakhstan style of life.
The reading materials develop skills of reading and comprehension skills
–guessing words from context, skimming and scanning.
- Vocabulary is given in 3 types: vocabulary of
the text, idioms and confusing verbs with examples and exercises. Topics:
Traditions and customs
Climate and seasonal dresses
Geography of KZ
Mass media and movie
- Listening activities are presented
in situational dialogs that occur in real speech video materials by topics.
The listening activities develop variety of listening skills- content
comprehension, listening details, correct pronunciation.
- The writing exercises include
practical writing tasks developing student’s composition skills.
- Text book series “Did you know?”
contain interesting information, developing and enriching vocabulary and
knowledge about Kazakh traditions and customs. Either teacher can present
them in class as reading or students can prepare essays as homework using
dictionaries. The second goal of using series “Did you know” is a preparation
midterm and final oral exam materials.
The final grade is determined by
fulfilling the following requirements.
- Homework: accounts for 15% of the grade
- Translations of work have to be
submitted in typed form.
- Handwritten assignments have to
be neat and legible.
- Class, language lab attendance and participation: Accounts for 10% of your class grade
- This class meets at
10:10 – 11:00 A.M. five times a week. Punctuality and daily attendance are mandatory.
- Weekly tests and quizzes:
Quizzes and tests constitute 15% of your grade.
week there will be some kind of test or quiz based on the new materials that
we have covered in the classroom.
- Examinations: 45%
The dates will be announced in the classroom in
- Midterm exam is worth 20% of your grade
- Final exam is worth 25%
- Oral and comprehension exam: The
oral exams make up 15% of your grade.
- Kazakh language course for intermediate
- Kazakh tili manual book for Intensive
teaching of Kazakh language/Murzalina B. Nurkeeva S. Nurgazina G. SagynykovaM.
Baitasova S Almaty 2003
- Kazakh language for Russian and other
language schools /Kanat Ibragimov
- Sukhbat Kazakh tili Almaty 1996
- Sen bilesin be? Book series of Kazakh
traditions and customs for children
- “Menin atym Kozha” B. Sokpakbayev. Adapted
text-extractions from the novel with activity tasks.