- Property purchased with IU funds belongs to IU. This
includes all purchases and all IU fund types, including faculty research
- Disposal or redistribution of IU property, including items purchased
with faculty research accounts, must be done in compliance with IU
- There are restrictions on some purchases, including but not limited
to computers. IU Purchasing policies are listed at
- Faculty are reminded IU policy regarding retention of financial
records applies to faculty research accounts. See
- Outsourcing IU
Bookstore services to Barnes & Noble beginning 2007-08 ends the prior
practice of making purchases at the IU Bookstore by simply stating your
account number and giving your signature. The new process is:
- Give April Younger a description of the items needed, an estimate of cost, and
the research account to be billed. You may have to visit the
Bookstore first to get the description and cost estimate. The
description can be very specific, or more general in nature, with
estimated items and costs.
- April will prepare an electronic Requisition using
Vendor #84514-0, Barnes and Noble College Booksellers,
Inc. (NOT Barnes and Noble, Inc.) and
route it for approval. It takes at least 2-3 days (longer with some
accounts) for approval routing before April will be assigned a
Purchase Order number and can print the form you need to carry to
- In the bookstore, you will shop for those items and present the items and
the printed PO to the cashier.
- The casher will
ring up the items and give you a receipt. Barnes & Noble will
invoice IU against that PO number to charge your research account
for those items.
You’ll keep the receipt in compliance with IU policy
for retention of financial records (usually three years plus the
current fiscal year; for grant funds it's three years beyond the
life of the grant including extensions).
NOTE: If you want to purchase a book you have the
option of going to the Barnes & Noble website and printing out the
book details. Bring that to April and she'll purchase the book
through IU EPIC with a 5% discount and free shipping. Both methods
take about the same amount of April's time.