M.A. Admission Requirements
Students may apply for Fall or Spring admission consideration by completing an online application. Application deadlines:
- Fall admission
- International application deadline is December 1. All supporting documents, transcripts, test scores, recommendations, etc. must be in no later than January 1.
- Domestic (US citizen or permanent resident) application deadline is January 1. All supporting documents, transcripts, test scores, recommendations, etc. must be in no later than January 15.
- Spring admission
NOTE: Applications not complete by the deadlines listed above will not be considered for admission or funding.
- September 15 (both international and US citizen or permanent resident)
Requirements for Consideration to CEUS MA program
Application for admission includes:
- Application completed online by deadline.
- Statement of purpose 500 words or less uploaded to your online application. Statement should include:
- coherent reason(s) for wanting to do graduate work, particularly in this department
- interest in study in a discipline, not just, e.g., desire to learn language(s)
- Three letters of recommendation submitted online or by mail directly from the recommender. The letters should address and evaluate student's academic progress and potential. Preferably three but at least two of the recommendations must be academic recommendations.
- One original transcript from each college/university you attended including those where you did not earn a degree.
- Undergraduate record must show at least two years of a single foreign language at the college level or the equivalent
- Grade point average of 3.0 (on a 4.0 scale) or above.
- Original GRE scores for all domestic and international applicants. Scores no more than 5 years old. GRE institutional code 1324; Department code 5199. Scores should be at least 600 in either the verbal or quantitative in the old scoring system. Scores should be at least 148 quantitative or 160 verbal in the new scoring system. The preferred analytical writing score is 4.5 or higher. These scores are College of Arts and Sciences guidelines. If your scores fall below the recommendation you can still be considered for admission if other areas of your application are strong.
- TOEFL scores for all international applicants of 550 or higher for paper exam, 213 or higher for computer-based exam, or 79 or higher for internet-based exam. Scores must not be more than 2 years old. TOEFL scores below the minimum will not be considered for admission.
- Writing sample and CV not required.
For domestic applicants all application materials sent by mail should be mailed to:
Central Eurasian Studies
Global and International Studies Building 3024
355 North Jordan Ave.
Bloomington, IN 47405-1105
For international applicants all transcripts should be mailed to:
400 E. Seventh Street
Bloomington, IN 47405