C 400 Quiz 2
How and Where to Start
A = True B= False
(or use the approriate letter for multiple choice)
- The most important specialized (as opposed to general) English-language
encyclopedia for answering questions on topics in chemistry is
the Kirk-Othmer Encyclopedia of Chemical Technology.
- Review serial tiles often appear annually and typically
have titles that begin "Advances in...," "Progress in...," etc.
- Which of the following could help you identify a printed
encyclopedia of inorganic chemistry?
- CRSD (Chemical Reference Sources Database)
- Printed guides on reserve in the Chemistry Library
- Either A or B
- Either A or B or C
Selective Dissemination of Information (SDI) is tailored to individual
interests. Hence, the cost is high compared to other current awareness
options, such as the standard interst profiles, CA Selects.
- Treatises often have the word "Selected" in the titles of the sets.
- When you use the OR operator between two search
terms, you can expect a lesser number of hits in your answer
set than if you used the AND operator.
- Chemical Abstracts includes in its coverage only primary journal
articles, not patents and other document types.
- Searching ingenta's UnCover with a Chemical Abstracts
Registry Number is a poor way to find information on a chemical
- A treatise is a multivolume secondary work that, like an encyclopedia, is
designed for easy retrieval of information by someone who does not know
much about a topic.
- Authors of review articles are experts in a field
who sift out the best primary literature on a topic, write a brief summary
of the significant findings in those works, and give full bibliographic
references to the primary works.