Emeriti Faculty | Patricia Andrews
Professor Emeritus, Department of Communication and Culture
- Ph.D., Indiana University
Professor Andrews' general research interests are in the areas of organizational and small group communication, with particular focus on gender and leadership and in variables influencing decision-making processes in groups, including the role of technology.
She is presently serving as an associate editor for Communication Monographs and The Journal of Applied Communication. In 1997 she won the Gerald M. Phillips Award for Distinguished Applied Communication Scholarship given by the National Communication Association.
- "Articulating Career Goals: A Comparison of Male & Female University Faculty." With M. D. Sorcinelli. Journal of the National Association for Women Deans, Administrators, & Counselors 50 (1987): 11-19.
- "Communication Correlates of Employee Morale." With J.E. Baird, Jr. Journal of Business Communication 15 (1978): 47-56.
- "A Comparison of Two Alternative Models of Powerful Speech: The Impact of Power and Gender upon the Use of Threats." With J. Scudder. Communication Research Reports (June 1995).
- "Creating a Supportive Climate for Teacher Growth: Developing Graduate Students as Teachers." Communication Quarterly 31 (1983): 259-66.
- "Dissent in Small Groups." With C.M. Hamon and A.M. Harris. Journal of Communication 26 (1976): 155-159.
- "The Effects of the Ethos of an Introducer and Speaker on an Audience's Response to a Persuasive Communication." Indiana Speech Journal 10 (1976): 1-8.
- "Ego-Involvement, Self-Monitoring, and Conformity in Small Groups: A Communicative Analysis." Central States Speech Journal 36 (1985): 51-61.
- "Empowering Employees in Group Work: A Case for Using Group Support Systems."With R.T. Herschel. Information Strategy: The Executive's Journal 9 (1993): 36-42.
- "Ethical Implications of Technological Advances on Business Communication." With R.T. Herschel. Journal of Business Communication (April 1997).
- "The Folk Linguistics of Women's Speech: An Empirical Examination." Communication Monographs 48 (1981): 73-90.
- "Gender Differences in Persuasive Communication and Attribution of Success and Failure." Human Communication Research 13 (1987): 372-385.
- "Group Conformity," Small Group Communication. 5th ed. Ed. R. Cathcart and L. Samovar. Dubuque, Iowa: William. C. Brown Co. Publishers, 1988. 225-235. Rpt. Small Group Communication. 6th ed. Ed. R. Cathcart and L. Samovar. Dubuque, Iowa: William. C. Brown Co. Publishers, 1992. 205-213.
- "Leadership Emergence and Gender: An Experimental Study." With J.M. Bunyi. Southern Speech Communication Journal 50 (1985): 246-60.
- "Majority Responses to Opinion Deviates: A Communicative Analysis." With C.L.Thameling. Small Group Research 23 (1992): 475-502.
- "Management and Communication Style: A Correlational Analysis." With J.E. Baird, Jr. Central States Speech Journal 28 (1977): 194-203.
- "'Mark the Perfect. . . Behold the Upright': Freeborn Garrettson Speaks for Methodism." Methodist History 16 (1978): 115-127.
- "Performance-Self-Esteem and Perceived Leadership Emergence: A Comparative Study of Men and Women." Western Journal of Speech Communication 48 (1984): 1-13.
- "Power, Status, and Upward Communication in Small Decision-Making Groups." Communication Monographs 45 (1978): 33-43.
- "Pressure for Uniformity: An Experimental Study of Deviate Responses in Group Discussions of Policy." Small Group Behavior 9 (1978): 149-60.
- "Seriousness, Attribution of Responsibility, and Status of the Offender as Determinants of Punitive Responses to Socially Proscribed Behavior." With D. S. Gouran. Small Group Behavior 15 (1984): 525-544.
- "Sex and Gender Differences in Group Communication: Impact on the Facilitation Process." Small Group Research 23 (1992): 74-94.
- "Sex, Competence, and Opinion Deviation: An Expectation States Approach." Communication Monographs 47 (1980): 101-110.
- "Socialization in Groups and Organizations: Toward a Concept of Creative Conformity." Intercom: Readings in Organizational Communication. Ed. Stewart Ferguson and S. B. Ferguson. Rochelle Park, NJ: Hayden Book Co., Inc, 1980. 388-402. Rpt. in Intercom: Readings in Organizational Communication. 2nd ed. Ed. Steward Ferguson and AS. B. Ferguson. Rochelle Park, NJ: Hayden Book Co., Inc., 1988. 239-256.
- "Styles of Management and Communication: A Comparative Study of Men and Women." With J.E. Baird, Jr. Communication Monographs 46 (1979): 101-111.
- "Teaching the Basic Course in Business and Professional Speaking: A Small Groups Approach." Indiana Speech Journal 14 (1979): 28-31.