Faculty | Jennifer Meta Robinson
Professor of Practice, Department of Communication and Culture
Director of C122, Interpersonal Communication
- Ph.D., Indiana University, 2001
Jennifer Meta Robinson studies environmental communication and performance, particularly how groups imagine and express their place in the natural world. Her current ethnography engages with sustainable farmers, and she is author of The Farmers’ Market Book: Growing Food, Cultivating Community (2007) and co-editor of Teaching Environmental Literacy (2010). She directs C122 A Cultural Approach to Interpersonal Communication. Her studies of communication and community in teaching and learning has resulted in numerous publications and grants. She served as president of the International Society for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning.
Courses Recently Taught
- Interpersonal Communication (C122)
- Performing Human/Nature: Defining Relationships with the Environment (C204)
- Sense of Place in Narrative and Ethnography (C313)
- Food Performance and Communication (C433)
- Introduction to Pedagogy (545)
- Advanced Pedagogy (C622)
- Monaghan, L., J. Goodman, J. M. Robinson, eds. A Cultural Approach to Interpersonal Communication: Essential Readings, Second Edition. Malden, MA: Blackwell, 2012.
- Robinson, J. M. “Performing Authenticity: Questions of Identity Competence in a Virtual World Point to Real Life Constructions.” In Shaping Virtual Lives: Online Identities, Representations, and Conducts. V. Krawczyk-Wasilewska, T. Meder, and A. Ross, eds. Lodz, Poland: University of Lodz Press, 2012.
- Reynolds, H., E. Brondizio, and J.M. Robinson, eds. Teaching Environmental Literacy: Across Campus and Across the Curriculum. Indiana University Press. 2010.
- Robinson, J. M. “Foreword.” R. Peden. Rural Free: A Farmwife’s Almanac of Country Living. 2nd ed. Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 2009. vii-xiii.
- Robinson, J. M., and J. A. Hartenfeld. The Farmers’ Market Book: Growing Food, Cultivating Community. Bloomington: Indiana University Press, 2007.
- Robinson, J. M. “‘If Love Could Have Saved You’: Newspaper Obituary Poems.” Midwestern Folklore 19 (Fall 1993): 99-112.
Selected Honors and Awards
- Trustees Teaching Award, 2012.
- Pezzullo, P. and J. M. Robinson "Teaching Sustainability and Environmental Literacy in the Humanities: Phase 1, Communicating Sustainability.” Proposal for Sustainability Course Development Fellowship. Indiana University Office of the Vice Provost for Faculty and Academic Affairs, 2009. $8000.
- Nonfiction Finalist, 2008 Best Books of Indiana Competition, Indiana Center for the Book.
- Primary Investigator, “The Indiana University Collegium on Inquiry in Action, Graduate Student-Faculty Inquiry Communities on Learning and Teaching," Teagle Foundation, $150,000, 2008-2011.
- President, International Society for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning, 2008-2009.
- Grant-in-Aid of Research, Indiana University, 1998.
- Teaching Excellence Recognition Award, Indiana University, 1997.