Procedures at IU Bloomington
II. Student Disciplinary Procedures
Campus Grievance Commission for Student Complaints Against Members of the University Faculty and Administration
- The Vice Provost for Faculty and Academic Affairs has the authority to appoint the members of the campus grievance commission to consider a particular complaint.
- The campus grievance commission must consist of five members, including three members of the administration or tenured faculty of the campus involved and two students from the campus. Nontenure-track faculty are eligible to serve on the grievance commission, but no more than one member may come from such an appointment category.
- The grievance commission shall be selected by the Vice Provost for Faculty and Academic Affairs from a grievance commission list containing names of students, faculty members, and members of the administration that are placed on the list as follows:
- Four or more students appointed by the student body president upon recommendation of the student assembly or other appropriate representative body as determined by the student governing body; one or more students appointed by the graduate and professional student moderator upon recommendation of the representative assembly or other appropriate representative body as determined by the representative assembly;
- Five or more faculty members to be representative of the various academic disciplines, to be appointed by the presiding officer of the campus faculty council upon recommendation of the faculty council or other appropriate representative body as determined by the faculty council; and
- Five or more members of the campus administration to be appointed by the President or designee.
- Students, faculty members, and members of the administration are to be appointed to membership on the grievance committee list for a one year period of time, beginning with the first day of the fall semester each year. A person may be appointed at any time during the year to fill a vacancy on the list. A person may also be reappointed to the list from year to year.
- If a person is selected to serve on a particular grievance commission by the Vice Provost for Faculty and Academic Affairs, the person is authorized to serve on the commission until the commission completes the hearing of any case submitted to the commission even though this may require the person to serve beyond the one-year period of appointment.
- If a vacancy on the grievance commission list occurs and there is a failure or refusal of the appropriate authorities to make an appointment or to fill the vacancy, the chief administrative officer of a campus may make appointments, fill vacancies, or take other action as necessary to constitute the grievance commission.
- The Vice Provost for Faculty and Academic Affairs appoints the presiding office of the grievance commission, who must be a tenured member of the faculty not engaged in full-time administration.