Health, Physical Education And Recreation | Teaching of Team Sports
P325 | 6443 | Chapin
COURSE PREREQUISITE: P214
Class meets one 50 minute period four times per week.
The purpose of this course is to prepare prospective physical education
teachers to teach a variety of team sports for grades K-12. P325 involves
the application of curricular, instructional, and management methods in the
teaching of team sports. The course also involves skill development, error
analysis and correction, teaching methods, and assessment.
At the completion of this course, each student will be able to:
1. Demonstrate and apply the basic skills of the team sports in task
and game settings.
2. Design and describe skill progressions and teaching cues for
critical skills in each sport.
3. Interpret rules, strategies, skills, and teaching techniques in
4. Assess progress of self and others through various techniques.
5. Construct a teaching resource notebook.
6. Apply knowledge of game and teaching in designing and implementing
instructional activities in class.
7. Observe, analyze and provide appropriate feedback to other students.
Schmottlack, N. & McManama, J. (1997). Physical education handbook (9th
ed.). Boston: Allyn and Bacon.
Grades will be based on resource notebook (30%), skill teaching and skill
performance (30%), participation (20%), and exams (20%). There will be an
exam after the completion of each team sport.
F < 60