Health, Physical Education And Recreation | Fitness Testing and Programming
P419 | 6473 | Kennedy/McCoy
MWF for 50 minutes at the Student Recreational Sports Center (SRSC).
RECOMMENDED COURSE PREREQUISITES:
P409 & A215 or P205 for HPER majors; consent of instructor for non-HPER
To provide content knowledge and practical experience in fitness testing and
To provide practical experience in fitness assessment to help prepare for
the ACSM Health Fitness Instructor certification exam.
1. State the purpose and demonstrate the basic principles of exercise
2. Describe and demonstrate the use of health history, informed
consent, and medical clearance forms prior to exercise participation.
3. Demonstrate the ability to assess muscular strength and endurance,
cardiorespiratory endurance, flexibility, and body composition.
4. Demonstrate appropriate techniques for measuring heart rate, blood
pressure, skinfolds, performing sub-maximal tests and other appropriate
health related fitness measures at rest and when appropriate during
5. Demonstrate an understanding of the principles of training for the
components strength, muscular endurance, flexibility, and cardiorespiratory
6. Demonstrate the ability to interpret, critique, and utilize various
fitness test data to plan safe and effective workout for the fitness
7. Exhibit the communication skills needed in personal fitness
programming for participants with diverse fitness backgrounds and skills.
Participation is one of the major learning objectives of the class,
therefore, students are expected to attend all class sessions. Three points
will be deducted per absence if you miss more than two class periods unless
excused by instructor.
Mid-Written Test 30 points A =
186 - 200 C = 146 - 151
Practical Body Comp./Strength/Flex 20 points A- =
180 - 185 C- = 140 - 145
Practical Sub-Max test 30 points B+ = 172 -
179 D+ = 132 - 139
Cumulative Written Final 40 points B
= 166 - 171 D = 120 - 125
Practical Final 50 points B-
= 160 - 165
Outside assignments 30 points C+ =
151 - 152
(S/C cardio assignment, Health Center Assignment, & Health Fair involvement)
American College of Sports Medicine. Guidelines for Exercise Testing and
Prescription. Sixth Edition (1998). Williams and Wilkins, Baltimore,
AND ACSM Resource Manual for Guidelines for Exercise Testing and Prescript.