Theatre and Drama | Acting III: Shakespeare
T320 | 4629-4630 | Burgun
Acting III: Shakespeare
Prerequisites: THTR T220 and recommendation of T220 instructor.
Recommended: T325 (Voice) and T370 (Theatre History)
1. Development of acting abilities, skills, and techniques as
applied to the work of William Shakespeare.
2. Deepened appreciation and detailed understanding of Shakespeare
and his plays.
3. Exploration of verse drama and the use of heightened language on
4. Exploration of heightened realities of character and situation.
This course will be taught through a series of performances, focused
primarily on scene work, culminating in final presentations,
supplemented by exercise work, lecture, dramatic analysis, and
You will be expected to read and be conversant with the facts of the
A Midsummer Night's Dream;
Much Ado About Nothing;
You will be expected to read all of the sonnets and the General
Introduction in The Riverside Shakespeare.
The Riverside Shakespeare
(1) A thorough and neatly organized acting journal;
(2) Preparation of one monologue and 2 scenes including a minimum of
15 hours of out-of-class rehearsal for each.
EXAMS: One written final exam.